Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$HIT cracked th400 case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Jan 18, 2007.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

my trans has been leaking badly... took it in to a good friends shop and they found out it was badly cracked at the top. i now need a new (used) diesel 4x4 th400 case to put mines guts into.

how much is this going to cost and does any one have one i could get free or buy cheap. im in highschool and have a VERY limited budget right now

thanks,
    rick

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

any 400 case should do they were all the same the only difference for the diesel ones is the toruqe convert and govenor springs

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe fix it??...

I've seen one truck a guy had,he cracked his TH350 case while plowing--it still drove and shifted OK,just leaked a quart out every five minutes!..he took the floor tunnel off and saw the crack,it was about 6" long,right next to the vent tube....he wire brushed it good,sprayed it down with brake cleaner,and used some marine epoxy stuff called "PC-11" on it,to fill the crack!..I laughed,and said "that crap will never work"..:surepal:

Well,not only did that tranny make an ass out of me,it also outlived the rest of the truck!..he plowed his driveway for 3 more years until the frame rotted in two,then he junked it!...maybe you could be so lucky??..J-B Weld is cheap...:thinking: :dunno:

4. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

its allright the guy i bought it from tried that allready...
    my friend who owns a trans shop got a case for 100 bucks and well see how much the labor costs....

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That's not too bad a price. TH400s have no core value anymore - checked all the trans shops and core buyers. I had to give mine away... all 3 of them :dunno:

If you hadn't found a case, I'd have recommended a swap to a 465 trans. :D

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe where U live!...

Here,tranny cores are starting to be worth something..I found out too late,after scrapping 3 4wd TH350's that I had sitting around that were "blown",and junked them for 6 bucks each...

My friend has scrap guys coming to his shop almost daily,looking for catalitic converters and other scrap..one guy had a TH400 4x4 tranny in his pile on the truck--when I asked if I could buy it for scrap price he just laughed--said he already had it sold to a core supply place a few towns away for 75 bucks!..

When I told him I scrapped those 3 TH350's,he said "that was dumb!".."The same place I'm selling this TH400 too,would have given you 50 bucks each!--and just the 4x4 tailshaft itself was worth 30-50 bucks!...:doah:

Any 700-R4 tranny core is worth 50-100 bucks too,IF you know the right places to bring them..of course they hope you are clueless,and will try to get it for scrap price,and many times they do!..you have to know what your dealing with...wish I did!..I figured a 4x4 TH350 wasn't worth squat anymore,since they are just about antiques now..:( I'm going to be very picky about what I call "junk" from now on!...:crazy:

7. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

well damn i guess it works out ok.... my friend the tranny guy built me a new th400 w. low stall converter, shift kit, and HD clutches and everything for 8oo bucks. good deal i know but damn... my budget as an 18y/o is fcked...
    i still need my front driveline to get the truck set to go wheeling for real finally and now i have NO cash.