Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hit list

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 13, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Base closure Ellsworth Air Force Base in western SD is on the closure list. I think it may be a blessing in desquise. Both Boening and Lockhert have expressed intrest in the base because of the size of it's aircraft hangers. Be kind of kewl if the made airplanes here.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i see this a a mixed blessing i do hate to see the milarity down sized but i do think it needs to be revamped just to make a example could you see us a 800 horse cavalry in 2005 -- NO so maybe we need to move some bases closer to the people that would make harm to the USA ??
    and as a side note people to day do not want booms in their backyard (small thinking for them)

in NJ we have a booming range and it was been their as long as we have had plans but it might be a good ides to move it to a place less populated the area has changed last winter a school was shot at with 3 rounds ( a mistake for shour ) but i bet their are better places to do this ?

and for bowing or some other moving in that would be a big plus for the local and us market

in NJ ford has been moving out and now for rangers are made some place Else ( Mexico) ? but we now have a place that will employ even more people ford only have 400 for the last years we may have 2000 in the new place

and just for clarification i am a Republican and say down size the government -- not the milarity :grin:

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So anyone else near any bases on the closure list ??

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That list is the proposed list. Now all the congressmen have to duke it out. Don't start stressing yet.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Two of the three local bases are always on the chopping block. NAS Corpus Christi and the Corpus Christi Army Depot are where they build and maintain a ****load of helicopters, its the only one thats really safe. NAS Ingleside is on the chopping block, they just keep minesweepers and little ships there. NAS Kingsville's use has been debated in the past but I think its ok this time around, they just train touch and goes there.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I ain't stressin', heck, doesn't matter one way or the other to me, I'm planning on moving anyways. Just tryin' too start a conversation.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Right on.....i am not trying to start anything either. Hope i did not come off as such. Was just trying to clarify.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No no no, I didn't take it anything like that. Hope I dodn't come accrost bad either.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

England Air Force Base closed several years ago in my home town. Everybody acted like it was the end of the world. Its actually been great for things.

The old base is now an Airport (makes sense), golf Course, senior living, satellite college, and industrial park.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kewl, a couple of the big air craft makers have expressed intrest in the base up here. Be pretty cool if some big company like Boeing came in.

11. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Wisconsin got hit hard with this thing... we are losing 3 reserve bases and an active duty Air Lift wing on one of the public airports... total of about 1000 jobs will be lost or relocated...

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I think I live in the only state that doesn't want Boeing going anywhere.

On a side note: They may be interested in hiring me straight from high school, or sending me to college and doing an internship! I guess that's rather rare from that company...

I'm really excited.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Eh, I just got an email back from Boeing:

"Boeing is the world's largest manufacturer of commercial jetliners, military aircraft and satellites. The company is also a global market leader in missile defense, human space flight and launch services. Boeing and its subsidiaries operate in 26 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and 60 countries. We provide a world of opportunities and a strong commitment to innovation. To learn more about Boeing, please visit http://www.boeing.com. "

Crazy.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

we have several on the list....

New England is getting hit hard--the Groton CT Naval Shipyard is on the list(only nueclear sub base in the east cost north of D.C.)--the Posrtsmouth NH shipyard too,and Otis A.F.B. not far from me on Cape Cod too,and a big shipyard in Maine too...lots of jobs will be lost,8000 in CT alone,not to mention many bussinesses will lose 50% or more of their customers.

.I dont like govenment waste,but I feel the military is not a "waste"--who will protect this part of the country from terrorist attacks if we get hit again??..I can think of better places to save money--like making politicians take a pay CUT instead of a raise every year,and let them PAY for their own haircuts,meals,and transportation(ditch all the limo's!)...its bad enough they are overpaid to begin with,but to be albe to eat,get chaufferred around,and get free hair care and medical treatment is a bit much!--

-I bet all of us would not mind if we got too paid much money,then got to KEEP it all instead of spending it on "necessities",that politicians never need to worry about..I think thats half the problem in this country--politicians get everything we have to WORK for for free--they are so out of touch with the reality of daily life compared to us....no wonder they think everything is hunky-dory--for THEM it IS!!.. :crazy: