Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hit the switches!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AllamericanK5, Sep 11, 2006.

1. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

Im starting to run out of places to put all of my switches. I was thinking making a panel that would house all of them and puting it either in the console or some were near the dash but no make it look tackey. Any ideas i have six or seven of them soo i just dont know. What all have you done???

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can cut the number in half, maybe, if you use double pole/double throw style switches. DPDT....:p:

Up does one thing, center off, down does another. Depending on the uses, three do the work of six! :wink1:

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Been struggling with the same thing here. My 241 needs quite a bit of room and I might have something different someday so I have not done anything except remove the ashtray and make a small panel in there....

I need room for switches, t-case shifter, and auto floor shifter.

I think Frizzlefry has the best concept for me - he built a larger tunnel over his transmission out of boxed tin (I think tin/steel). I want one similar but maybe a bit taller. I see that as a good solution for shifters but maybe a little low for switches. Might make a panel off of that for switches.

I bet none of this makes sense so maybe PM Frizz and have him point you to pics :rolleyes:

4. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I've got a couple rocker type switches I mounted to the front of my center console. All I have to do is reach down and flip em. Going forward, I will be relocating all my switches and push button start to a custom panel on top of the center console where that little skinny pocket is in front of the cup holders.

5. AllamericanK5

I see what you mean about the extened hum for the t-case and trani. Makes me wana go flat lol. I was kinda thinking the same thing a lil pocket infront of the console. I just had another idea make a lil pocket for all the switches and such to go into and have it open and close. Either with a lil door or have the whole think kinda lift up out of it like a hinge type of thing.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What about installing them in an overhead console...

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

If you want a really clean looking panel don't forget to check out http://www.12voltguy.com/

He made this custom panel for me, at an extremely reasonable price...
    [​IMG]

8. Myke

Myke Registered Member

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I usually take out the ashtray, and use that flip-down for my switch panel... piece of plexiglas or acrylic or something and voila.

Alternately, you can use the stereo area or the AC ducting if you're not using those features... the left-hand vent on the passenger side, i.e. the one in the center is popular... or you could put a panel under the dash, in the center, forward of the t-case shifter(s)... lots of possibilities.
    And hey, B_to_C, that looks like *my* CUCV dash :haha: ... well, except I had the radio-delete panel on mine, already drilled by the previous owner (local PD) so I had it easy.

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/dark-side-calls-me.JPG

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/dash-switches-1.JPG

-- A

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  10. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the ash tray. I fit 3 in there, and keep it closed until i'm ready to turn them on.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Great minds post alike :D

-- A

12. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yall need to watch pimp my ride, they hide all kindsa switches.

13. AllamericanK5

He hooked you up with a snake skin paint job, 26 flat screan tvs, a ps2, xbox, game cube, psp, Ipod, and a 13 disc cd changer. We saw you liked gummi worms sooo we put 100 pounds of them IN THE TRUNK!

14. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Haha, serious. I can't belive how they come to conclusions like that. Just cause i like coffee doesn't mean i want an expresso machine in my center console. Or a pizza oven. Or the popcorn machine.

oh man, that show cracks me up

15. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i have 3 switches under the steering wheel, on the removable metal panel (easy access, and disconnect), and a push button start under the stereo. One is manual GP (diesel) middle is accesory activated electric fuel pump, and the right one is my horn. I'm gonna add a few more when i get around to buying a winch and doing a propane set-up.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

These look great to me if you want them on the console. I mounted mine high -

[​IMG]

17. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

switches

I can't get a pick of mine, so I stoled DREMU's. Where the gauge is mounted above the heater controls I mad a panel out of 1/8" aluminum and mounted 6 switches with aircraft style safety covers on them simular to the ones in the radio delete plate. In the radio delete plate I mounted a safety switch then a 2 position momentary switch then another safety then 2 position momentary. The safety to the left arms the front winch, safety to the right arms rear winch and the two momentaries are in and out for each winch. So far its plenty of switches without having to drill holes all over the place and stuff. Just my oppinion though.:wink1:

dash-switches-1.JPG

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I cut out my lighter and mounted 3 switches where the ashtray goes but he wants to have 5 or 6 switches...

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I made a raised panel on the removable panel under the steering column. I only have 3 switches there, but there is room for many more.

[​IMG]

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status