Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hitch install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Apr 18, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a hitch from a guy I know who was parting out his K5. Anyway, I have the bolts and the hitch and I am ready to install it. My question is: Do I have to do anything before I install the hitch or can I simply bolt it right onto the frame? I assume I won't have to drill holes or move the gas tank right? Shouldn't the hitch just bolt right in? I am just making sure I am not overlooking anything before I start this project.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to drop mine in order to drop the gas tank when I did the shackle flip. Bolts right in, the problem is that we tighened up the gas tank before re-installing the reciever hitch. I had to drop the tank to install the hitch b/c I couldn't reach the nuts. Piece of cake other than the tank being in the way.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I didn't need to remove/loosten anything on the '86 or '73. I slid the nuts through the hole/slots in the frame and got 'em to start. Both came with 1/2 inch spacers to mount to frame.

4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am ready to install the hitch. What bolts do I need? Grade 8, but what size/length?

Dumb question: Which direction do I install the bolts? Should the nut be inside the frame with the bolt on the outside facing the ground or should it be vice-versa?

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

When I put on my Reese hitch (which is now off due to a new bumper), I had plates that came with the kit. The plates had a square hole in them, which the grade 5 carrige bolts slit into. The plates fit into the frame channel, and the studs stuck down through the holes in the frame, and the hitch was bolted through using the supplied nuts. I think the bolts were 9/16, but could easially be wrong. The bolts were roughly about 2" long, and I think there were 6 of them.