Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hitch mounting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I am thinking about moving my trailer hitch from the bottom of the frame rail to the bottom of the top frame rail. Is there any real reason why they are mounted to the very bottom of the frame rail, is it a strength thing or is it to get the hitch lower for ease of a trailer?

Its either that or i try to come up with a new custom bumper with a hitch in it.

Any ideas or theories?

Jeff

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Two reasons I can think of. On the K5's the tank is using up all the room between the frame rails. Even if it wasn't and you could put the receiver that far up it would be too high for most trailer without a massive drop hitch.

My buddy just installed a reciever hitch on his K5...but we welded the bolts in from the top so they're like studs. When he tows everything is cool...when he wheels it takes him 3 minutes to unbolt the hitch and throw it in the garage.

Rene

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anyone have any pics of custom rear bumpers with a integrated hitch and pics of how its mounted. I need some ideas on how to do mine.

Jeff

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Another idea I just had, what about flipping the hitch upside down and mounting in between the frame rails?