Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hitch Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by asterix, Apr 5, 2004.

1. asterix

asterix Registered Member

I was at the yard and saw that a lot of the 80 vans look like they are on the same width frame as a 80's k5. Is ther any reason that a hitch would not fit from one to the other.

Brett

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Frame "horns" on the K5 angle down in the back. The trucks (not sure on vans) don't angle at all.

So the mounting points on the hitch for a truck are flat, while the rear points on a K5 hitch are angled to match the frame.

Again, not sure on the van, but I somehow doubt they are the same.

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Vans are straight to, I would see if they will let you get one and try it if it won't fit take it back.

4. asterix

Thanks for the info, i'm goign to check the measurments and head back. These are 7000 lb class 5 hitches, yea i cuold buy a new one for 140 dollars but that could also go to beer and other things...

Brett

5. dyeager535

I don't know much about towing, but the K5 isn't optimal I know that much, and going over a class 3 just SOUNDS like a bad idea. I'm sure it can be done setup right, but the suspension alone (along with the axles, etc) just aren't made to be beat on like a 3/4 and 1 ton truck.

I'd just wait and get the right one off of a K5, they are plentiful, and if your time is worth anything, a better idea to just buy one that fits. Still a pain to install even when they are the correct one.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No harm in buying a heavier duty hitch than needed, just don't get any ideas about pulling more than 5,000 lbs with your K5.

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

why not measure the distance between the frame on your K5 and then measure it on the van to see if they are the same width. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Rick

8. asterix

My plan this weekend is to measure and head back up there. Hopefully they will have some k5's or something close, they had nothing when i last went. I do not plan on doing really any towing. but i have the recivers with a hook just incase someone needs to get pulled out, i don't have a winch right nw so i just need some good pull points..

9. dyeager535

For the guys that need more clearance, I think the new style "tubular" hitches would be a good idea.

I figured that by going that route you could save almost an 1" of clearance, which helps departure angle. On the guys with no lift, like myself, I think that is even more of an issue...I've dragged the hitch on pretty small inclines.