Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hitch receiver

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Oct 2, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I need to repaint my hitch receiver cause it's rusting and I don't wanna go to use it and have it fall off [​IMG].

I went to wire brush it down last nite and get the stupid plastic/paint/whatever covering it came outta the factory with when I noticed it bolts to my frame (I never really thought about it before [​IMG]).

What is the best way to stop it from rusting? I am really unsure about unbolting it although that would be the easiest way to clean it up and paint it. Thanks everybody.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

2. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

Well I can tell you I left mine on and about 2 months ago did the same thing. I wire wheeled it then, primed and finally painted. Guess what?? Its starting to rust again.
    Now that you have everyones attention about hitches, maybe somebody can help me?? I have a "Draw-Tite" factory hitch that came with my Blazer. I am missing the draw-bar (ballmount)for it. It is a 1 5/8" receiver..weird huh? Nobody around here ever heard of one. I called Draw-Tite and they say they quit making them 10 yrs ago and sold out of the draw-bars last year. Anybody see or have one? Save me $100.00 for a new hitch. I will trade a 2" ball mount for it. Thanks.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I just got some spray paint and painted mine last year and it still looks good

90K5

4. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

My hitch is rusting as well. I figured mine was rusting because the guy I bought the truck from used to pull his boat to Nags Head, NC every summer and romp around on the beach with the truck. It sounds like the hitch would be a good place to use POR-15!!

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm actually thinking about pulling mine and having it sandblasted then powdercoated, but then I think maybe a low-profile hitch would be better...

I DON'T KNOW!!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!