Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hitches?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WheelinK5, Dec 18, 2001.

1. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

Can class 3 towing hitches just be bolted in or is there any welding or drilling required? What brand hitches are recommended? Getting a hitch in the next day would love some feedback. Also how much weight is too much to tow for my Blazer? See sig for details.
    Mark

1985 K5
    Built 330HP crate 350, SM465, NP208, 10 bolts, Ranchos and 31X10.5 on Rallys!

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I've had reese before and no problems. normally bolt in's.. but current (was on when i got it), have receiver style bumper (ranch-hand)... and it has been welded & bolted in.
    Currently tow with sub, so my weights probably would be a tad higher...

3. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

Anyone else?

1985 K5
    Built 330HP crate 350, SM465, NP208, 10 bolts, Ranchos and 31X10.5 on Rallys!

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Most class III hitches made for K5s bolt right in. I've run Draw-Tight and QS, no problems. However, it will be a boat anchor off road.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

One other unfortunate thing to consider is that the Blazer/Jimmy; like alot of other vehicles these days; is powerful enough to pull MUCH heavier loads than it's capable of handling! In otherwords; the short wheelbase is the limiting factor with our rigs. While you probably have the power to tow a 10,000 lb trailer; it'll be a case of the tail wagging the dog! That will probably be the limiting factor when chosing a hitch!

The Blazer (from the factory) is rated to pull approx. 6000lb trailer. It may be a few hundred pounds higher but I can't remember exactly. Class III is ideal & like the others said; a bolt-in.

Good Luck

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

6. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

I SAW A TOWHITCH AT THE JUNKYARD TODAY. WAS BOLTED IN, NO WELD. ON CHEVY SHORTBED TRUCK

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a factory bolt-in receiver on the 84. Reese makes a good product from what I've seen. I run a weight distribution setup made by them.

Weightwise, I don't think I'd want to tow more than 5000lbs with a Blazer. Make sure you install a good brake controller as well as a heavy duty auxilliary tranny cooler.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I was pulling up to 7000lbs with my K5. It was a handfull at times. I went out and bought a 3/4 ton Suburban to do the job. I was comforable pulling loads under 5000lbs with the K5. To answer your question mine was a bolt on. Good luck.

<font color=red>Sure your Durango can go any place I can go, (if I hook a strap to it).</font color=red>

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

As these guys have said, you can pull more weight than you can control with the K5. I never had a problem with about 6,000LBs with my 3/4T K5. I pulled 10,000 once (long story) and it scared the SH!! out of me trying to stop and control it. If you are towing a good brake controller is a must.