Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hitech re-treds?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Any one here ever run a set? Know some one who has? I'm thinking of ordering a se of the 315-75-16's for the 'Burb. I know when one of the off road rags tested them they wer raving about them, but that's all I have to go on :o If U don't know what I'm talking about, they are in the back of the off road rags, $440 for a set of to my door :)

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in these also, and was wondering if re-treads are safe??

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

most definately go for it!!!! I bought a set of 35's to drive home from ft campbell, ky roughly 1,500 miles. They are awesome :D I did not get a chance to offroad them as I traded my 75 that they were on for my 85 2wd. But they gave me no problems. Rode a lot quieter than the swampers that was on the truck when I bought it also lol

4. Geargrinder

I'm thinking that 1500mi was highway miles? I have been told that highway miles (from the heat) is the weak point of re-treds. But the guy @ hi-tech asures me that it's not a problem with there tires.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah it was highway miles. and I believe that most of the gators people think are retreads along side the highway are actually new tires... that's caused by improper inflation overloading etc

6. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I was planning on ordering some but the 35" tires were on back order for like 2 months... so I just got buckshot mud terrains. They're pretty cheap but they're nice tires

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Blue85 has a set of 35s with the green diamond stuff in them.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There was an article a couple years back in Four Wheeler on these , would have to dig it up , but I believe they mentioned only good carcasses were used , and name brand carcasses only .

9. Geargrinder

Yeah, that's the one I read. They had nothing but good stuff to say about them, on and off road.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i know someone who has a set of 31 x 10.50 Mud Terrains, but they're made on BFG All Terrain carcasses

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i work for the sister company of a greendiamond plant . thay are vary good. thay arnt like a retread at all. thay buff down the quality name cases and also buff the side walls. this is all done on a case that has a dot # of less than 5 years old. thay also try to use virgin casings with no repairs if thay can help it.

next thay put on the rubber like a new tire is made with a machine that spins the tire as it has the raw rubber layed on. at the same time the carbide bits are sprinkled in with it.

next the tire is spun on a machine to check balence. if out raw rubber is added to the spot just like a real balence.

when all done and passes test. the tire goes in to a mold machine. this will cure the raw rubber to the proper specs and mold the tread pattern at the same time. the mold machines are heated by steam to around 350-450 degress. thay can be in there for 7-20 min for the size of the tire.

in short the prosess to make the ( greendiamond remlolds ) is buff off old tread and side wall rubber like a retread. then re apply new raw rubber to the caseing just like thay do to new tires. and stick it in mold and cure it.

hope this has helped you all if any more questions just ask.:haha:

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

They're just down the road about a hour's drive from me. ................................................... High-Tec Retreading
    P.O. Box 763
    Edgemont, SD 57735
    (877) 439-0759

13. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Most of the "alligators" you see on the road are retreads from big trucks.

But you will never load 46,000 lbs on your K5 and drive all day.

I would think that retreads in an aggressive offroad tread would have enough air space in the tread pattern that you would not have a heat problem.

Fred

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, re-treads are "safe" :rolleyes: thats why they are illegal to use on the steer axle of a commercial vehicle, they are to prone to blow outs, yes alot of the rubber on the highways are some new type tires, usually with high mileage and are close to replacement time, but i, as a truck driver know for a fact that the re-tread will blow out much more often than a new tire would. The reason to use re-treads is simply cost, they are MUCH cheaper than a new tire, using them only on the drive axle, or the trailer is safer, only because there are other tires to help with control when they DO blow out.

I would say go ahead and get ya some, but i personally would limit my highway driving, and use it for simply lower speed driving, and off road only.

For the price,,ya can't beat them i guess if you do alot of off roading, where the tires get chewed up pretty good,,,,as mine do.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:dunno:

there has been extensive 3rd party research done on retreads and tires in general. they are not dangerous. and a tire will blow regardless of how old it is, retread or "new"... it's all in how they are maintained and cared for. when you overload a tire thats missing a lot of air... :thinking: yep thats what really causes tire failure.

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

THAY ARE NOT RETREADS IN THE GREEN DIAMOND VERSION. THAY ARE REMOLDS . 2 DIFFRENT THINGS.:rolleyes:

look hear www.greendiamondtire.com for more info:haha:

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As a truck driver, you also should know that a tire for a commercial vehicle, like a heavy truck, is constructed differently than a light-truck tire. The retread for a commercial tire is just that - a strip of pre-molded tread that is wrapped around and re-vulcanized to the original carcass. The re-vulcanizing goo you use with a tire plug kit is almost the same stuff used to assemble a comm. retread. On some of the lower-quality comm. retreads, you can actually see the line across the tread where the ends of the strip are joined!
    As sweetk30 said, a light-truck retread is totally different. New rubber is molded directly onto the prepared original carcass and cured in place, just like the original manufacturing process. Aircraft tires are retreaded this way as well, but the carcass prep is a lot more involved - sidewall rubber is mostly buffed off, remaining tread rubber is buffed off, and the carcass gets X-rayed multiple times to guarantee it's integrity.

I'll go out on a limb and say 90% of ALL tire failures on the road - commercial or passenger, retread or OEM - are caused by underinflation. It's insane how many half-flat tires I see on the road; again, comm. AND pass. And in my experience, I've seen a LOT more company trucks on the side of the road with a flat, or shedding rubber chunks for miles, than I have owner-operators. The cause, of course, is a company driver who's too lazy to check pressures and doesn't give a d*mn about the equipment, vs. an owner-operator who's gotta pay for a new tire out-of-pocket.
    My Dad owns a topsoil company and has 5 dumps; a 2-axle Pete, two 3-axle Petes, and two tri-axle class 8 Petes. He hauls asphalt and gravel most days too. In nearly 20 years of operation, he's NEVER had a blowout on one of his trucks. Why? He won't let a driver leave the yard unless they've checked pressures and eyeballed the tires for integrity.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am going to have to agree :D

19. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Actually, It's not illegal on a commercial vehicle

to put retreads on the steer. Just like it's not illegal to repair a nail hole on a steer tire. But those two tires are all you have to control 80,000 lbs of vehicle. Better not to take a chance. Use virgin rubber on a big 18 wheeler steer axle.

Now, a K5 might weigh 4,500- 5,500 lbs. Probably a whole different set of parameters.

Fred

20. sgtcherokee

sgtcherokee Registered Member

high tech re-treads

I got a set for one of my cherokees ( 31x10.50's) and loved them , I think it was something like $250.00 for the set shipped to my front door . i an currently running a set on my RV / tow rig , have put approx. 6k miles on them pulling the rig around not one problem to date and holding up great!