Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmm Converting a married 205 to divorced?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Searched this site and pbb but didn't find exactly what I was looking for, sooooo.
    Lets say that for some reason I wanted to install a 2 wheel drive transmission and I didn't want to purchase/track down/pay shipping on a divorced 205 when I alredy had a nice twin sticked married one in my k5 that I would just prefer to convert to divorced. Does anyone know of someone who makes a kit to turn a married 205 into a divorced 205?
    Didnt see anything on advance adapters website. I guess theres not a great market for this conversion so I don't expect to have any luck but it would be awsome if someone on here knew of a place that made an adapter to do this.
    thanks in advance for any useful suggestions/flaming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one of my friends has a junk 205(pretty sure) from a ford that is divorced. i can get a hold of him if you want and see what he wants for it or the parts to make it divorced.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can't take a married version t-case and convert to divorced. It just won't work.

If you want to use a divorced t-case, try finding one from an older Dodge or International truck as they have the correct passenger side d-shaft drop.

Lastly, why would you want to use a divorced t-case on a Blazer as the rear d-shaft would be sooooooo dangerously and ridiculously short, especially with a lift kit, its not funny. Its just not feasible to even try it. I can only see divorced t-cases working just fine with a SWB or LWB, but not a Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

is it for a th350? if so maybe you could use a 27 spline female slip yoke into the input of the t-case and build a small driveshaft to connect to the 2wd tranny. Maybe? Just an Idea. It would be harder with a th400 or 465 input. I havent seen any 32 spline male slip yokes or 10 spline male slip yokes.

<<Disclaimer>> I have never tried this. I'm just throwing ideas out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can't say I have ever seen a male slip yoke

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    can't say I have ever seen a male slip yoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha, I thought about running with this one. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can't take a married version t-case and convert to divorced. It just won't work.

If you want to use a divorced t-case, try finding one from an older Dodge or International truck as they have the correct passenger side d-shaft drop.

Lastly, why would you want to use a divorced t-case on a Blazer as the rear d-shaft would be sooooooo dangerously and ridiculously short, especially with a lift kit, its not funny. Its just not feasible to even try it. I can only see divorced t-cases working just fine with a SWB or LWB, but not a Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all thanks everyone for the advice, with the help of you all I have decided to remain undecided about what I should do more than ever before. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

In all seriousness though I have been thinking of keeping the k5 the way it is which works just fine for me.

But.....Just out of curiosity for future reference what if a guy with only a 4" lift had a th350 transmission and replaced it with a 2wheel drive sm465, right there he would gain back some of the length he would loose with the divorced setup just by putting in the shorter transmission right? Then you could make the intermediate shaft really short and drop the transfer case a little lower than the transmission and split the u-joint angles which I assume would allow you to get by with a slightly shorter rear driveshaft since it wouldn't have to put up with the higher angles. Plus the few net inches that it deducted from your rear driveshaft would be added to your front driveshaft, which could be a good thing for some of us.
    Now of course This is web wheeling at its finest and I havn't actually looked under the k5 and thought about how ridiculous what I am proposing would be, so has anyone ever seen this done on a k5? Please critique /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never seen a divorced case in a K5, but it is definitely popular with dedicated mud rigs and pulling trucks.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

In the words of whoever said what I'm about to quote: "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Yep, the GM setup of the married tranny/t-case combo works and for a good reason. Why change something when it works? As a matter of fact, the married version is something that was considered an "upgrade" back when they actually ran the divorced setup back in the 60's. Even Ford and Dodge followed suit to switch to the married setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Save your headaches. Leave the stock setup alone and just beef it up with better parts. You will save more money this way rather than spend more for the 3rd driveshaft and countless broken u-joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A kit for that swap is not something I know of exsisting. You would have to find a divorced 205 and put your parts on it. Your rear shaft would be close to the length of your foot however, and your middle shaft wouldn't have much room for heavy duty u-joints. Also a 2wd (c-case) tranny is not as strong as a 4wd (k-case). If you really wanted to do that check out an old Ford hi-boy they often had that set up. Just remember a divorced set up would be more one off than most K5 t-case swaps.

11. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

even if you were to figure out that how to put a yoke on the input of a married 205, i think it would be a nightmare trying to make the brackets for it to be supported to the frame. the casting of a divorced case is very different from a married case.
    the only way i can see a divoriced case working in a K5 is if you were to use a T221 out of a late 60's chevy, since it has a lowered rear output. but i think your rear driveshaft will be in the competition again J**P for the shortest rear driveline.
    good luck