Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmm... gear oil coming out end of axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Mar 13, 2003.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

So a couple days ago I pulled the cover off the front diff (dana 44) to check it out (vehicle is new to me). I filled it back up, and since my driveway tilts there was a little extra in there, but not much. This morning I notice that I've got a puddle of clean gear oil sitting next to the driver's side tire. It's leaked out the end of the axle. Sounds like I need some new seals? I'm a newbie to axle work, what am I going to need? I just did the front brakes and put new hubs on this, do I have to take most of that apart again? Any tips? I just read an old post of Grim's with some tips for taking the carrier out to replace the inner axle seals, is that what I'm looking at doing?

Given that the gear oil is leaking out the end of the axle, how much driving around with the hubs locked can I do before the bearings or something else is trashed?

thanks!
    Kevin

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

That's basically what you have to do. Pull the axles and carrier out replace seals reinstall everything else. Or until your ready to do other mods(maybe ball joints, u-joints, locker lower gears, etc...) something to help justify the effort, to the axle, just park opposite and keep the driver side higher than the passenger side. I'd say with the front turning the oil level would be lower than if not turning and you probably will not loose as much as it just sitting.

3. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

So having gear oil dribbling through the axle isn't going to break down the bearing grease? or cause other problems?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It shouldn't get as far as to contaminate the bearing grease but if it did it wouldn't break the grease down, water is grease's worst ememy.

5. 86chevk5

86chevk5 Registered Member

you are gonna need to pull the hub apart then take the rotor off pull the backing plate off. then you are gonna need to pull off the housing behind the backing plate. pull the backing plate off the diff and pull the pin and the c clip off the axle slide the axle out and then pull the axle bearing and grease seal replace both be carefull with the seal you dont wanbt to damage it. put the bearing in and the seal lube up your axle with axle grease slide it in and put the c clip and pin back in and put everything back together and but while you are in there replace the hubs bearing and races and rear grease seal and be sure to grease the spindle and pack all the bearing you replace with bearing grease something water resistant is the best. but put everything back on and you should be good it sounds like a bigger job than it is its pretty easy. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

There arent c clips in the front of a dana 44. The spindles and hubs keep them in. The only thing is that if the seals bad, the axle shaft might be bad too.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There arent c clips in the front of a dana 44. The spindles and hubs keep them in. The only thing is that if the seals bad, the axle shaft might be bad too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that and agree with you. A front axle is a full-floating design. No C-clips.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ha, you had me worried there, when I did my 6 to 8 lug conversion on the d44 mine slid right out.. but when he said c lips I read it 3 times and thought oh [censored] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif