Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmm...If I can just squeeze these JL's under my seats

Discussion in 'Audio' started by complexmar, Aug 12, 2003.

1. complexmar

complexmar Registered Member

Hmm...If I can just squeeze these JL\'s under my seats

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html

With only .15 cu ft needed for a sealed enclosure I think this might be an interesting way of satisfying most of my bass needs. What I'm thinking is that I can build two custom boxes (one under each seat). I haven't done any measuring yet so I still might find out that I'm short on space, but I'm liking this idea initialy for a few reasons;

1- Stealth Factor.
    2- Bass under the buns. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    3- Saving space.
    4- Cost

I know that 6" subs doesn't make the tim taylors of the bass world grunt. I'm just looking to bring out some lower frequencies without breaking the bank or loosing valuable cargo space.

BOSOWISE? can you get your hands on a pair of these?

Well a-measuring-I-will-go

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Hmm...If I can just squeeze these JL\'s under my seats

[ QUOTE ]

I know that 6" subs doesn't make the tim taylors of the bass world grunt. I'm just looking to bring out some lower frequencies without breaking the bank or loosing valuable cargo space.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd look into mounting the boxs up under the dash. Bass is non-directional, and you wouldn't loose any cargo space that way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. complexmar

complexmar Registered Member

I never thought of that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Hmmm, maybe I should get 4 of them and mount them in both spots! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe....

Mounting depth is 3.5"
    Xmax is .295"
    Let's say cabinet is made from 3/4" MDF

Total height needed = ~4.5"

Just be sure that you understand the REAL amount of clearance under the seat....which means take the measurement under the cushion with someone SITTING in it. Otherwise, you'll be in for a very unpleasant discovery after all that hard work!

Assuming you can get the numbers to work, it might also be a good idea to play them facing downwards into the floor with a small standoff.....bass playing straight into your butt might be funny for about 15 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Aiming it downwards might give you a little better (not so localized) bass effect.