Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmm, maybe that deer hunter needed this gun,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Owe, my achy shoulder:laugh:

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

damn my sholder hurts just watching that

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

850 round burst. Cool.

It's about time they dialed in the 60. Controversy surrounded it's design for a while, not to mention a bunch of parts could be put in backwards when fieldstripping it, and you would not know if you screwd up till trigger time.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Any gunner in the service would get his butt chewed for using the M60 like that. I bet that barrel is now junk.100 rpm max for sustained fire, using 10-20 round bursts.
    Gunners are trained to assemble and disassemble their guns, so that parts go back together correctly.
    Its a fun video to watch, but I cringe when I see any equipment being abused.
    Many years ago, at Ft. Sill I got to play with an M2 with lots of ammo. I just got done tuning it and had bout 1000 rounds to test fire with. At the range there was an old garbage truck 500 yards away. With a spotter, I shot the wheels off it. Now that was fun.:D :D :D :D

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Or this....

[​IMG]

Up to 1,800 RPM based on version...

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

From the banner ads - no way in hell does this girl live anywhere near me [​IMG]

:D

8. 3 on the tree

MG 42-great gun!!!!

9. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Used the M-60 in Vietnam, 1972. We had two of those and a .50 on our M113 APC. You can't hit anything firing like that. Short bursts were, and still are the way. But it sure is an interesting demo!! I remember we had to go through all our belts to make sure none of the rounds were backed out. Very bad.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

uuuum,,,it was a test firing?????? to see if it COULD handle that kind of abuse???????

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

That gun must be prety damn heavy to not recoil much with that much firing. It looks like a .308 (7.62 NATO for you queers)?

12. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea. It weighs 23lbs IIRC.

13. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Carry one around all day. It's heavy.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The MG42 is the grand daddy of all great man-lugable MGs. Stamped design meant they were cheap/easy to build and that bad boy had a serious rate of fire. Unlike many german weapons, it wasn't built like a big Swiss watch and prone to breaking/jamming. Pretty revolutionary design. Its telling that some European units still use them, rechambered to 7.62 NATO.

Never seen a spec sheet that showed it capable of firing 1800RPM... but I have seen 1200. Considering thats 20 rounds per second... it ought to be enough. There is no normal weapon used by US grunts today that can fire that fast... which makes it yet another example of the mad skillz of them nazi gun designers.

This weapon is not to be confused to the equally revolutionary but much rarer FG-42 which is almost the father of the Stoner. The FG was somewhat mission adaptable, at least that was the goal. It used a box-mag that fed from the left side (sorry lefties!) and fired the nasty 8mm Mauser cartridge. You could select full auto or semiauto fire. All FGs were ready to accept a standard low power scope (something not common on regular infantry guns until very recent euro-bullpup designs). Bipods could be attached etc. I think the original plan had several different stock designs to paratroop use etc... not sure how many made it. At any rate, very cool gun. Not many were made, compared to most small arms of WWII and if you can find them they cost a fortune thanks to collectors snapping them up.

j

15. 3 on the tree

German paratroops carried the FG-42, when they rescued Mussolini the first time.

16. jekbrown

yeah, you're right, I forgot about that. Good ol' Otto Skorzeny.. that guy was a real harda$$... back when being called the "Most Danerous Man In Europe" actually meant you could kick ass. Now the most dangerous man in Europe is prolly the hairy-backed guy at a nude beach somewhere in France. :confused: Oh how the mighty have fallen.

j

17. 3 on the tree

Yeah, but his boys got their butts handed to them when they invaded Crete. Granted, they took the island, but losses were so high that Hitler never used them again in a major assault.

18. jekbrown

Yes... I don't know who the idiot was who thought it was a good idea to throw men out of airplanes without their weapons (they went seperately in parachute-assisted containers) but that guy should have been thrown out of a plane without a 'shute. The luger was a decent pistol... but I wouldn't want to fight a bunch of guys with 30 cal rifles and MGs with just that... lol!

Crete was definitely a testament to the ass kicking nature of German special forces. They got slaughtered, but still won the battle. Kinda like the guys who landed on Iwo on day 1. Hitler's decision not to use the FJ again probably had more to do with the strategic situations later in the war than anything else. I mean, if he was willing to let a million men surrender/die in Stalingrad without a second thought, you wouldn't think a few thousand FJs dying would be of great concern. I think the main thing was, later in the war the allies had air superiority over their own assets... so flying in a bunch of transport planes would have been suicidal. It worked early in the war (belgium etc) because they had surprise on their side, and the enemies AAA, airforce and radar assets weren't very good.

j

19. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

and yet my paintball gun does 24 bps (balls per second)

things that make you go :thinking:

20. 3 on the tree

My references claim that German para rigs were so crude and opened so violently, that all attempts at attaching weapons to them failed.
    Also, the FG42 is supposedly the basis for the M60. BTW, production of the FG42 was 7000 or less.