Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmm...quick question...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 19, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

in the morning before i go to school, i go out a few minutes early and start up my truck cuz its kinda cold in the mornings,and u know diesels and cold weather = dont like.. so when i go out i click it over, the glow plugs light up for a few seconds, then they just stop... now does that mean it is time to start it? cuz when it does that, sometimes i shut the truck off and then click it over again,lights up etc... and then give it some gas and she starts...do all diesels do this? or is mine just weird..? u guys know what i mean? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    in the morning before i go to school, i go out a few minutes early and start up my truck cuz its kinda cold in the mornings,and u know diesels and cold weather = dont like.. so when i go out i click it over, the glow plugs light up for a few seconds, then they just stop... now does that mean it is time to start it? cuz when it does that, sometimes i shut the truck off and then click it over again,lights up etc... and then give it some gas and she starts...do all diesels do this? or is mine just weird..? u guys know what i mean? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's exactly that.
    When the light goes off you can start it.
    Now if you turn the key and nothing lights up then there is a possibility that the controler is bad, that is if it's a cold start. If you had just driven it, then you migh not have the light, at least in smoe model years.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok, i know sometimes if i run it for awhile and shut it off and then go to click it back over, it dosnt have the light just cuz its hot or warm u know? but so in the mornings i can just let it click over until the ligh shuts off and start it?? how long does it usually take it to click over and start..curious?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, i know sometimes if i run it for awhile and shut it off and then go to click it back over, it dosnt have the light just cuz its hot or warm u know? but so in the mornings i can just let it click over until the ligh shuts off and start it?? how long does it usually take it to click over and start..curious?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your glow plugs model, and what year your vehicle is.
    I don't really remember which was the one that was fixed time but I assume it's the early 82-83 then the new controler I think cycles and monitors all the time and when the temp goes down it cycles again.
    Usually it takes less than 10 seconds most of the times 5sec.
    But the 60G's need more, closer to 10seconds.
    The Kennedy glow plugs are faster but smaller and they work with the stock controler because they are faster.