Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmm so if I quit and became...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 6, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a piercer think my parents would be pissed? ha. My tattoo artist has been pushing me to talk to her boss about apprenticing as a piercer for a long time now. I'd love to do it, but after all the money and time at school it sure would be a slap in the face to my parents I think. As it is I'm still really not liking working in the dealership. I'm thinking if this keeps up, in a month I will be back working for Dad's construction company and if I do that, start part timing as a piercer(if they'll have me). Eh just a thought... I would love to do it, but in a year if I get a good fabrication job I'd have to leave it and Mark would hate that I'm sure...

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How long have you been there? 2 weeks? Geez, Alan, you have to give a job a chance, y'know.......

As for becoming a piercer, what kind of longevity is a job like that going to offer? You've done the school thing, now you're in the real world. Fun, huh?:doah:

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ahhh, dont do it. Makes me not look forward to wyotech:doah:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh being a tech just isn't for me, I can tell you that right now. I was talking to one of the guys on my team the other day. He was laughing about how a service writer once told him people techs and didn't do it for the money. He then said, I used to love this work but now I think it sucks. I said, you used to love it? he said, oh yeah when I started I absolutely loved it. I just shut up and walked away. I don't care for it nearly that much, Could I do it? Sure but its just not what I want to do. If I can end up making money(which so far its not looking like I will be able to do), I will keep doing it. but at the moment I'm making less than I was working for my dad where I had less hours and liked the work more. Yeah I worry I am deciding something thats comfortable over something that would be daring and a growth experience, it will come down to the money. If in a month I can't make money at Flat rate I may well just have to quit.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

like Paul said, you havent been there long enough to really get a feel for what the big picture is going to be like. sure, you may be getting the crap hours now, and i'd almost bet that you havent even come close to kicking flat rate yet. once you get more comfortable with it, learn some shortcuts, you'll be clocking all kinds of hours. flat rate isnt nearly as hard to beat as everyone thinks it is.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

put some more time in at the dealership.

or find another automotive/fab place to work.

does dad's construction gig have medical or dental? what about a 401k? life insurance? disability?

you need to start thinking about your future. what if you get hurt while working with your dad? will he support you if you are unable to work for the rest of your life?

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

ahh the world after college. What a wakeup call that was.

I remember thinking highschool and college were the hardest thing anyone can possibly be put through, and that when I got out I would make money hand over fist.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

The more you make, the more you dont have.

More to the topic.

Give the dealership a little more time. Remember your first real job (for the most part) will never be your last. Experience is all that counts, and every day you spend slaving at the dealership is another day's expierence. Keep clockin them until you have enough to get the job you really want.

Piercing probably isn't it.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Stay in the same field, try a different approach. Find a fab shop, maybe custom auto-body where you can put your artistic talent to work. :dunno: Why not tattoo work on cars via airbrush.

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

What kind of construction company does you dad run? Can you work for him full time and move up or until you find something else? Im doing a construction major in school, hopefully when I get out I'll find something in that area that I'll like and be able to do for the rest of my life.

10. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

customchevy and "cricket" great advice!:waytogo: :pimp1: You know if we all just gave our jobs a month or two, we could all go stand in the unemployment line. Give it six months or a year then make your descion.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wait a minute, you just finished school and IIRC, it is an expensive one. Did you pay cash for it? Did your parents pay for part of it? I seem to remember you wanting a big pay check when you walked in the door, now you are not even going to stick it out long enough to learn the ropes well enough to make the $$$!

I'm kind of at a loss here but... after spending all that money to try and break out on your own, now you are going to go back and do the easy thing-work for your dad a little & dabble in piercing? Come on, time to grow up. Make your own way in life, later if you decide you still want to be in the construction business (after you have been successful in another field) go back and have a Man to Man talk with your father. Do it this way and you will always be the boy.

I know it sounds like I'm ranting, but I just want you to stop and think about what you are doing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

First of all you havent even been there long enough to get a real feel for how this job is going to pan out. Geez give it some time, you've got the rest of your life ahead of you, you need to think long term if you want to make it.

Second, you want to do the fab thing? well thats great but getting a cool job like that right out of school isnt very common. Most people dont get their dream job right out of school they have to stick it out at an employer they dont enjoy near as much until the job they really want becomes available. Give it some time.

If there's one thing I've noticed about you is that you're really indecisive. You can never decide what to do with your vehicles or you can never finish one. Being indecisive about a car is one thing but being that way about your career isnt something to play around with. Get serious about what you want to do with your career and ultimately your life.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

As much as you paid (or are paying, or someone else paid) for school, quitting now just does not make sense. Give it a shot and learn something about the job and yourself. All education is expensive (some call it paying your dues) and what you are going through right now is just a continuation of your education. Stick it out.

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You have to work at a tech job to get good money... A friend of mine has been a tech for te past 10 years or more. Sure you start out low, but with time and after you hone your skills, the money will come. Its not just oign to be plopped in your lap. It seems to me that it's all about the skills and getting jobs done sooner than the book calls for... Then jump on another. When I stop to BS with my friend from time to time, he usualy has about 3-4 cars going at a time. He usually puts in about 22 book hours a day(on good days)...

Stick with it. He has a good job with benefits.. The piercing may seem cool, but whats it going to offer you for long term? It would be a cool job if you just got out of high school or something..

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

But, geez, at this rate, I may have to work for a long time before I actually start getting paid some decent money. Why didn't I start off at shop foreman? You mean I have to work up to more money?
    Sorry, y'all, but this kind of crap really hits a sore spot with me.

John

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

alan im right there with you... i graduated from UTI in 2004 and when i first hit the real world i loved it! i was proud to be a mechanic and enjoyed my job... then soon it became just a job, now i dont even wanna be a mechanic anymore, but its all i know and all ive ever wanted to be. ive pretty much stuck myself into doing it for a while. i dunno maybe its just the shop i work at... the boss and i dont really like eachother, my best friend is now my service manager and i dont like taking orders in the first place let alone from a guy i went to high school with.

it sucks, i dont wanna do it anymore, so im not motivated to do it and people are starting to bitch about me being slower than i used to be. so i just got moved to night shift, so i dont have to deal with the people... i really never should have left that first shop i worked at. i wasnt making enough money there so i left and now i make good money but hate my job. and if i were to go back i wouldnt make what i am now and theyre like 25mi away right now im driving 10mi round trip to work. i dunno i just dont enjoy it anymore.

i think the best advise ive ever gotten was from my diesel teacher back in HS... "if you love turning wrenches and working on cars and stuff, dont make an occupation out of it, it'll make you hate it more than anything in the world."

17. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I own a shop and have found there are techs that were born to do it, and techs that have no other choice but do it. Both can be very good employees and make alot of money. I have no first hand experiance with working for a dealership, but I have heard many stories about the politics involved. I would say work your ass off, find someone who has their $hit togeather to mentor you and realize that even with your education, you still dont really know squat when it comes to working as a technition. Im not saying all of this to be mean, I have given this speech to kids straight out of Wyotech and other trade schools. What you need to realize is the money will come, but you have to put in your time and be willing to learn from someone who is older.

/soapbox)
    gabe

18. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What they said.............^^^^^^^^^^^...........:wink1:

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

trust me i know about the dealership politics... i worked for two different equipment dealerships here in town and now i work for a private company... the politics are bad but id take them and the friends i left at the john deere shop over what ive got now anyday... and you're right fresh out of tech school, you really dont know anything yet. theres so much specific stuff and tricks you dont know yet its disgusting.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had a huge post but **** it here is the short and sweet.

Its not about the money, I was just saying that if in the first few weeks of flat rate I can't make money, I may well have to quit. If I can't pay my bills at this job and could go do something I know I can do and pay the bills, wtf would you do?

I'm not enjoying turning a wrench at all. It seems everyone I talk to says "I loved this when I started, or I still love this". I am starting out hating it... If I am starting out with no joy

The dealership sucks, rush rush rush, why did you get that done fast enough?

I don't expect to know everything, I expect to know little to nothing. I have a knowledge of the basics, thats all. I'm there to learn more and better my skills, but as it is I'm slow as dog **** with no signs of speeding up. When I try to go fast I **** up and end up being slower than I would have been had I taken my time. When I take my time and just try and manage my time and get things done efficiently, I come in over time(which my writer is being generous with since I'm new and slow). I am 110% discouraged by everything there. I don't think I'm cut out to be a tech. I can diagnose, I can repair, I can do all of this, I have full confidence in that, but doing it in the time and how they want, I don't see it.

This would all be different if I went into work and loved what I was doing.

Before I took this job I was holding out for a worse paying, no benefits job but it would have been stuff I loved. Just didn't happen so I settled on the dealership.

Think what you like about me, I can't change your opinions, and I really don't care to. I know myself and what makes me happy and thats all that matters to me.

**addition**: hell even turning a wrench at a more leisurely pace would be good. When everyone around me stares at me for doing something slow or asks me why I am being so slow it pretty much annoys me to no end and makes me hate it more than I already do.