Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmm.. Ujoint noise??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so last week i noticed this noise in my truck when cruising, holding steady speed, mostly in 3rd gear (sm465)..
    so today i climb under the truck to grease the ujoints and i pulled myself under by the driveshaft.. found there's about 3/8" side play in my 29$ conversion joint (1350 to 12 bolt)... and i have no time to replace it.. so i guess ill just take it easy until i get to replace it... YEAH RIGHT.. lets see if i cant blow it out on my way to put chevy 4wd's tranny in on sunday!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure you greased it enough when you put it in?

3. Confedneck

hah i know i didnt grease it when i put it in.. because i put the zerk where i couldnt get to it.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Next time greese it out of the truck. Set one cap on the ground and put a little pressur on the opposite cap with your foot. Then greese them up. It is a little messier to put in but it is better than not greesing them at all.

5. Confedneck

never thought of putting pressure on the caps to grease it out of the truck... allthough im willing to bet, if i had installed the ujoint with the Zerk towards the diff instead of towards the t-case, i could actually grease it.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Confedneck

well.. changed the rear rear ujoint yesterday.. and let me tell you, the old one was WASTED..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the new one didnt have a zerk fitting and is non-greasable.. so we'll see how long it lasts too..