Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmm... What do you think it is? (tranny leaks)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Jul 7, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I'm headed home from Blazer Fest and everytime I stop I smell something like burning gear oil... So I check and tranny fluid is leaking from the front of the tranny near the front of the pan and spraying on the cat.

So, I get home and it appears to be coming from the pan, there was a rather large dent in it where it slid over a rock so I figured it shifted and broke the seal. So I replace the gasket and clean it all up and it still leaks.

Now digging deeper it is coming from the joint between the bell housing and inspection cover and out the little hole in the inspection cover. Oh, this is a 4l80e by the way. Anyway, I have to pull the starter, exhaust crossover, 2 braces, and a bunch of other stuff to pull the cover off so I have to wait till this weekend to do so. Do you think it's more of a possiblity it's a front seal or the torque converter??? Whats more common? I was wheeling it hard all weekend but it never started leaking till half way home on the freeway.

I've never had a tranny leaking from the front so I'm unsure what all is capable of leaking, just the front seal and converter correct? It's a pretty slow leak, after all night of sitting theres maybe a 3" diam. puddle.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

$20 and a sheep are on the front seal

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Front seal is what it sounds like and im amazed it didnt catch on fire like the EXPLODER i was riding in one night we were trying to get up this hill and i look out and there is something glowing under the truck and im like Whoa when did you get neons /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...then we all jumped out and ran then looked under the thing and tranny fluid is pumping out and on the exhaust and catching on fire so we throw mud and water and it goes out we go get his jeep and winch it up the hill and towed it home....

4. willyswanter

Well mine is just a drip like every mile or so... I do carry an extinguisher with me though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's a seal because if the converter is going it means little metal bits headed through my perfect tranny /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I mean 170k miles and it's still shifting as good as new /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I bet front seal. And since you went through the mud hole at Hollister check your vent to make sure you didn't plug it with mud. That would make it blow out for sure(previous experience).

6. willyswanter

Heh, haven't found it yet but I'm still lookin... I swear the tubes leave the tranny and t-case and go through a portal and end up on mars or something... I follow them up and over and around and they just never end. There was absolutely no water or mud or dirt or metal in the pan or fluid when I dropped it last week though.

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Another thought too is maybe that crud got in the inspection cover and cut up the seal. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. willyswanter

Yeah because it was definately under water... I could see the water line on the tranny and it went up probably 2/3 the way up the side of it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Anyway, so how is changing it? Is it one of those things where I can slide the tranny back a foot and pull the converter off and replace the seal or do I need to pull it out and take half the tranny apart?

[​IMG]

I hate mud... And I tried so hard to stay out of it all weekend if it werent for that dude taking pictures... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

You could just slide it back. My theory is if you have gone that far to get to the seal, why fight it, just set it on the ground.

I thought you had learned to stay out of it after Frank Raines. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. willyswanter