Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmm, zero rate in the front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive got 3" lift in the front and going with a 2.5 shackle flip in the back. i want to upgrade from 33 to 35 on 8" rims. thinking about using zero rates all around and stretching the WB an inch on each end. is this a bad idea with the stock steering linkage? I know it will shorten it, but will it make a huge difference? I think with the axle 1" forward i would be able to trim less on the rear of the front fender and stuff the 35 easier. Good idea or no?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get the 4" shackle flip for the rear and run the zero rates up front only... most k5s have atleast some saggy but anyway. Of course, that would mean you couldnt relocate your rear axle unless you had custom perches. rockjunkies (ck5 member) made mine for me with an offset... machined from solid steel.. might try those... they would let you fix any driveline angle issues you had as well.

j

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i accually like a bit of ass sag.right now my truck is 3" in front and bone stock in back so its got crazy sag. doesnt bother me, accually handles better. i dont want to bother with new perches. i'd accually like to keep the whole truck with a 3"- under lift but i dont think its gonna happen with 35's. mainly my concern is with the front.i dont want any adverse affects from pushing it an inch forward. anyone done this?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i accually like a bit of ass sag.right now my truck is 3" in front and bone stock in back so its got crazy sag. doesnt bother me, accually handles better.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Reminds me of those stupid lowriders that think it looks cool to have the rear on the ground and the front way up in the air, how ridiculus /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif,anyway I had 6" in the front and 4" in the back when I first lifted mine with 33's and thought it looked goofy on a short wheelbase truck. When I leveled it out it handled better than before. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Reminds me of those stupid lowriders that think it looks cool to have the rear on the ground and the front way up in the air, how ridiculus ,anyway I had 6" in the front and 4" in the back when I first lifted mine with 33's and thought it looked goofy on a short wheelbase truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

what can i say.. to each his own. i like that lowrider look and i like the prerunner look. what i dont like is the stinkbug look(ass up). i do think mine is too low (i had it with a 2" add a leaf, then tried a homeade shackle flip.the leaves were too stiff and made it buck, the flip was too high (about 4) and the rear end would sway too much. it was also too stiff and bucked. the way it is now handles the best, brakes suffer a little causs of not having enough weight over the front tires but corners and floats over RR tracks better than ever. thats why i only want a 2.5 flip. just a little sag that the truck will float over stuff,but enough weight on the front for good braking.

If you think it look ridiculous thats fine with me.Like i said , to each his own.
    BTW i think 6" lift and 33's looks goofy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im ganna run all 4 in each corner.. with the 2" leafes i got on it now (add a leafes) and a 3" body lift that will give me around 5-6 inches of lift....and keep my 33s on for now cause i dont wanna go bigger with 3.08 ten bolts!

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW i think 6" lift and 33's looks goofy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have 9 inches with 35" boggers now! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [​IMG] I think it looks awesome now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I hate that in the weeds look with the fenders chopped and tubbed with fat tires, that is a pro street thing /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

call my strange, but I like the ass to be somewhat higher than the front. (when not loaded). In theory, it gives a slighty flatter level when carrying load (like all my offroad gear), and in theory, should give me that extra 1" of compression travel in the shock.

Well, maybe thats just me justifying how I like my truck to look. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. jekbrown

yeah, butt end should be a tad higher... especially for us guys that run a carb... help just a lil' bit to keep from dyin' when goin up steep hills. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

I know im in the minority with the whole ass sag thing.i do agree with everyones opinions, it does make more sense to have the rear a tad higher. But my personal experiences the truck always handles best with the rear lower and softer. It does suck when its loaded down with gear, i'd like to compensate with some air bags or something.

Back to my question tho. Am i going to have problems if i push the front axle forward an inch? specifcally with the draglink. will it be too short to function properly? will i lose much turning radius? i'd like to hear from someone who has done this.

11. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Having a stock draglink sucks offroad...trust me...I know and alot of others know this as well. Moving that axle forward will make that already short draglink, even shorter. Make sure you have crossover and no swaybar if you want to move your axle forward.
    Blake

12. jekbrown

agreed... go crossover if ur gonna move ur axle. I remember when I had basically stock steering but a drop pitman to adjust for my lift and man did it suck offroad. When the drivers side was droopin, i no longer had ANY control over the steering. It basically would just go where it wanted to go. Not the kinda thing you want to have happening when you are offroad when rollovers etc etc are a possibility. I have since gone x-over (rockstomper) and it works great.

j

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never had a problem with bump steer at all.