Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmmm..14bff reversal...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Jan 24, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was talking with a friend today and we started wondering, are there reverse-cut gears available for the 14bff? If so, we could install the reverse cut gears and rotate the 14 bolt so the that pinion enters the axle from the to instead of the bottom... This would allow for better clearane as well as a better pinion angle...Any thoughts?

Chris

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've never heard of them. but that doesnt mean anything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> High pinion axles are not just flipped housings. The axle will not oil correctly, not to mention that it would spin in the wrong direction, regardless of whether the gears are reverse cut or not. </font color>

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Very interesting thought...worth looking into.
    My input is that, you're probably not going to find them - since the 14 bolt FF never showed up in a front axle application.
    I could be wrong though, about not finding some /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

TTT... Anybody else have some input on this one...How much $$$ for custom reverse-cut gear for the 14bff?

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifChris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, I'm gonna repeat what I said before - THE AXLE WILL SPIN IN THE WRONG DIRECTION IF YOU FLIP IT OVER. If you can make the rear output on the t-case spin the opposite way (while leaving the front output spinning normally (impossible) and figure out how to keep the pinion oiled on an upside down housing (certainly not easy) then you might be able to do something with it. More trouble than it's worth, IMHO.</font color>

7. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    THE AXLE WILL SPIN IN THE WRONG DIRECTION IF YOU FLIP IT OVER.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not if you want three reverse gears and one forward. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, you got me there. So long as he doesn't put it in four wheel drive. That would make for some interesting breakage! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font color>

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Turn both axles over,Put body on backwards and let everyone ask how hard it was to put engine in back. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif