Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmmm how to raise truck with leaf springs off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Jul 29, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

well just another fun adventure in the world of suuspension lifts. The truck is sitting to low on the jack stand to clear the new leafs arch and i need to lift the truck higher but the leaf springs are off and that some what limits my options. i dont have a high lift jack yes I suck I know. Anyway I have the shackle flip on there, should I just put the stockers back on and lift ?

Also The damned axle is a bitch to move, Im using 2 floor jacks and it is a PITA.

Any help is much appreciated,

2. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain man. I am doing a suspension lift by myself and having a hard time moving the axles around.....a guy is coming to pick up my old axle Monday may ask for some help just getting them into position.

My truck is too low but I knew that I think I should be able to get the leafs in and then use them to get it higher to fit the axles.

I know I am not much help but I do feel your pain.

3. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

actually that not a bad idean as soon as move the heavy pos axle out of the way hook up the springs and lift it up and stack a few more 2x4 under the jacks and it should get me by.
    You more help then you thought:D

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Rent a cherry picker. I actually bought one and I use it all the time to lift up the body/frame when I need to do spring or axle work. You can hook the chain to your bumper if it is stout enough, or to the frame ends.

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

It's easier to move the axle around or in to position if you bolt a set of tires on it and roll it where you want it to go :D

6. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

:haha:I cant believe I havent thought of these things, perhaps Im spending to much time in the sun. Maybe some more coffee :D

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was moving axles around quite a bit when i was building my K10, all by myself to boot. it was GRAVY!

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]4 PC. VEHICLE DOLLY[/FONT] [​IMG]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Each dolly has four swivel casters to hold up to 1000 lbs. Move your project cars backwards, forwards, even sideways! Made of formed steel with 3-1/2'' cast iron wheels with ball bearing swivels. [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    • Overall size (each):15-1/4'' x 23-1/4''
    • Shipping weight: 50 lbs.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    ITEM 38959-1VGA

$119.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38959 [/FONT]

8. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

take the rims and tires off and support the weight with a car jack. I just did a lift by myself and it was no big deal to move everything around. If its in the rear use the hitch as a place to lift. I bought a bunch of 2x6's and cut them down so I could space my jack stands so the truck would be a little higher. Wasn't high enough though so off with the rims and tires and I had plenty of room. Good luck my man. You'll loose some weight and gain some muscle moving those axles around by yourself. Lemmie tell you!

~Brian