Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmmm... I'm really thinking..... boat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, May 30, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Okay, Can-Can got the new boat. It's been a couple years since I've been out on the water (used to go out fishing in the Chesapeake Bay and York River in a variety of boats). This past weekend, I got to drive a little boat around the local resevoir. Now, wouldn't ya know it... there's a little "fun boat" (what I like to call them anyways) for sale on base.

Looks to be about 16'. 1978 Baja Tri-Hull, with a 85 HP Johnson. Been a lot of work already done to the boat. Water pump, lots of gaskets, fuel tank/line flush, lower unit oil, etc. Carpeting looks decent, seats are OK. Adjustable trim (It's a must for any boat I drive). The prop looks like it's been recently changed or re-finished. There's no wear on the prop like it was run into a sandbar, or run at all even. The hull has seen some better days, but nothing that affects the integrity.

The boats I'm used to driving are 18+ feet and deep-V type hulls. I know the little Tri-hull is move of a speedboat, but how do they handle in decent swells (for the boat size, obviously you don't drive a 16' speedboat in 4'+ swells)?

Then if I want to start seriously looking at a boat, I need to drop a vehicle. Most likely will be my 78 K5. I've come to conclude that I'm fine with having a nice, stock, K5 to drive. An offroad-only truck would be nice, but building it up would give me more frustration than I would get enjoyment out of a collection consisting of a 2-door car, a K5, and a boat.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a tri-hull 16 ft Bass Boat, I've had for about fifteen years, and waves/chop suck in it!!! They bust against the bow and drench ya, instead of cutting through them. I love the boat, but rough water is a no-go for me in it!!!

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That's what I figured a tri-hull would be like. Like I said before, the majority of my boating experience is with the deeper V hulls. Handling chop is just a matter of trim :)

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Donald is right. They are great as long as you are running on glass. Chop will beat you to death.

5. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I'm liking this boat idea! :D

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Allright, I've made a definite decision. I'm getting rid of my 78, and saving every spare penny I can manage to get a nice boat. I believe I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of a nice K5 and a nice boat than an almost decent K5 and an off-road K5. Not to mention the boat will cost about as much as building up the 78, just a lot less headache :)