Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hmmmm what to do with...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Feb 10, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

...my wife's car. Since the trans fried, I have found myself in a dilemma. The car probably isn't worth much more than $1000 since it's so old (1991) with so many miles (266K). But the eng. I had built for it is by no means a slouch. A buddy at Cummins built it for me. It's dang near 300 h.p. and only has 40K on it. The tires are less than a month old, and the entire front brake system is brand new. I'm thinking of pulling the eng. with the wiring harness and computer, taking the wheels/and tires off and then hauling it to a u-pull it type place and see if they'll buy the shell off me. I'd sell the wheels and tires and maybe keep the eng. for a buggy or sand rail project. I'd sell it complete, but I don't think I'd get $1200 for it. Any ideas on what I should do? I need to get at least $1K out of the engine to make it worth selling and $300 for the tires (less than 1000 miles on them) What to do /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You didnt mention what size engine or even what kinda car /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Parting it out yourself or donating it to a charity (for a full tax credit of high book) that fixes and sells the vehicles would probably be the best way to go.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You didnt mention what size engine or even what kinda car

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a '91 Buick Regal GS with power everything. The eng. is a 3800 with a few tricks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Parting it out yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have room to do that where I live, and I don't have a place to store it either, otherwise I'd consider it.

[ QUOTE ]
    donating it to a charity (for a full tax credit of high book) that fixes and sells the vehicles would probably be the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to do that, but I need the $$ to help with a down payment on a new car. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

some kind of bad ass sandrail with that motor sounds like the best option. after the rail is finished you can worry about all that other stuff: bills, gas, food, new cars, etc..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Mmmm regal GS... the sleeper buick with the supercharged 3.8 liter... Nice... 300 ponies means its prolly running what... near 400lb ft of torque? gotta love that. Yeah... I would say sand rail... go fast over sand not slow over rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's flat out nasty when you get after it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif It also has...a billet steel cam, forged alum. pistons, forged steel crank, ported and polished heads, and a few other goodies. All for the price of $1400 w/ a 7 year 70K warranty! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's why I want to keep the eng. I think it'd make a kick ass rail. I can only imagine the wheel stands it'd pull! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Too bad you couldn't part it out. But if your needing a down payment for a new car you just may have to give in and sell it with the engine orrrrr do what Jeff and me just did, got an '03 Galant with only $200 down and decent monthly payments from Hannah. They didn't want the Nova in trade /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif said it was too ugly and we could keep it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Well with a low down payment I say pull the engine sell it as a rolling shell, best wrecking yard to attempt this with is FAP (Foster Auto Parts, they deal with newer type cars). If you need help with arranging a tow truck let us know we got connections /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif