Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hmmmmm thinkin about a new car.....................

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Oct 27, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well ive made a few decisions that are gonna free up quite a bit of money when i move back to vegas. so im thinking about either a SUBARU IMPREZA WRX, VOLKSWAGEN GTI 1.8T or a MITSUBISHI LANCER EVO.. i know theyre imports but compared to mustangs or camaros or any other american cars right now, id love to own an import... im really leaning towards the subaru, im not interested in 1/4mi times really i wanna drift and corner like no other. and id prefer all wheel drive. (and the sound of a turbo with a blowoff valve is orgasmic) i just wanted to know what your opinions are on these cars... experienced or backed opinions only please.

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Get the Subaru... WRX... STI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my backing: Subaru kicks ass.. Volkswagons are for gay people and girls... Lancers... well I've never actually seen or heard anything about these other than on rally games... but I'm sure it's a good one...

But get the WRX... STI!!!!! and lemme take it for a spin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i'de get a 20th aniversary golf...3" exhaust, chip, and intake....bring you into the 13's...or wait till the R32 comes out its AWD VR6 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...i cant wait to get out of UTI and get a new car..somthing with A/C that works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My buddy bought a WRX when I lived in Alaska. The car was amazingly fast. I had never heard of them before until he got one...this was like 2 years ago. He had studded tired and the AWD. We would hall ass all over town, even with the roads covered in snow and ice that thing handled very well.I say go for it. Oh yea, IMO I think VW's are for chicks and gay's, kind of like Jeeps! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Car and Driver gave the EVO a slight edge over the Subaru. Personally I'd go with the EVO just for the "being different" factor because they both are very good performers.

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i say shoot for a better than all of em pilled into one and try and find an isuzu impulse turbo. They out perform porsche 911s in everything. So i bet they will out perform those cars. That being said if you cant find one of those then go for the subie. Subaru may be the popular choice but i think they are a nicer looking car. The evos look alittle wierd and too much like a sedan for me. And as an added side bonus by buying subaru, your staying whith GM. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

WRX hands down against the queer a$$ VW. Drove both and the WRX is a bad mofo for a stocker. Haven't had the chance to drive a Lancer (hopefully soon). VW are ok for chicks and guys that like kickstands. WRX, well just say they make you feel like your in a rally race everytime you get in one.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Get the WRX and go rally racing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

maybe look into one of those new mazda rotoray engine car?? forgot the name but looks ok. just throwing out some ideas. but if yer set on those then i'd say subaru. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Mazda RX8 = $$$$$$$$$$$, but they are cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like the Subaru's I have the 2.5RS non turbo and it's a fun car. IMHO the WRX isn't worth the extra $$$ over the 2.5RS and the STI is way overpriced. A girl I work with just bought the STI.........don't get me wrong it's a quick little car, but for 35+K no way I'm sorry give me a SS Camaro or T/A /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Or save a little longer and get a VETTE

Ohh yeah the other thing I don't like about the Subaru's is the mileage. 20city 26hiway Not real good for a 2.5 ltr 4cyl.

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

another rea;y good thing about subarus is the "boxer 4" configuration. It keeps center of gravity low and that can take more revs and have more easy power out of the box becouse the motor is naturally balanced.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Ohh yeah the other thing I don't like about the Subaru's is the mileage. 20city 26hiway Not real good for a 2.5 ltr 4cyl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, it's a 300hp 2.5 liter engine though... 26mpg is pretty dang good for a car that does low 13 sec 1/4 miles off the showroom floor.

14. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

One thing to take into account is the STI and EVO are both only fast if you dump it at almost redline off the line to get wheelspin, or else they bog down. The tranny obviously doesn't enjoy this much. I've raced a bunch in my Z28 and they are a joke if they don't launch right. If they do launch right, well that's another story and I play a game of catch up to about 90. On the freeway they run out of steam, but overall they are very impressive and I'd drive one for sure. My Z28 can get 26 mpg on the freeway though, so the gas mileage is a little lackluster, but anything with 300hp is going to get bad gas mileage.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get the Subaru... WRX... STI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my backing: Subaru kicks ass.. Volkswagons are for gay people and girls... Lancers... well I've never actually seen or heard anything about these other than on rally games... but I'm sure it's a good one...

But get the WRX... STI!!!!! and lemme take it for a spin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! WRX STI, the lancers look retarded and come on a VW!? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Agreed! WRX STI, the lancers look retarded and come on a VW!? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I have a VW /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif but I'm a girl, so I guess it's OK. '02 GTI 1.8 turbo -- it's zippy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing to take into account is the STI and EVO are both only fast if you dump it at almost redline off the line to get wheelspin, or else they bog down. The tranny obviously doesn't enjoy this much. I've raced a bunch in my Z28 and they are a joke if they don't launch right. If they do launch right, well that's another story and I play a game of catch up to about 90. On the freeway they run out of steam, but overall they are very impressive and I'd drive one for sure. My Z28 can get 26 mpg on the freeway though, so the gas mileage is a little lackluster, but anything with 300hp is going to get bad gas mileage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the proper launch thing, I've watched WRXs at the strip and the guys that don't run it up to the redline and sidestep the clutch aren't very impressive. I challenge you to try to keep up with one in the twisties though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would still be torn between an STi and a Z28 (if they still made them)... If I were in the market for a new sports car it would be between the STi, the new GTO (sweet car) and *gulp*, the 2005 Mustang, since it's pretty darn cool looking and is supposed to get 400hp in the Cobra version.

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You can't say VW's are for gay people. Maybe the new ones are... but if you've seen some of the baja buggies, you'd think different. Besides Ford Explorers are for fags. [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My brother has a WRX and it was sweet in stock form. Now its just flat out bad ass! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Eibach springs, Vischnu computer, down pipe and underdrive pulleys, (maybe Vischnu also) cat back, (Cobb maybe) turbo timer, and a pile of other bolt on goodies.

Fast Fast Fast!

In the last few months hes managed to about eat up his tires drifting it.

20. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, it's a 300hp 2.5 liter engine though... 26mpg is pretty dang good for a car that does low 13 sec 1/4 miles off the showroom floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant thats what my car gets. The 2.5 RS...NO TURBO I am sure the STI doesn't get that good. I was just saying comparably size engines get better gas mileage than the Subaru's. Fun car to drive though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif