Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ho 72 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, Mar 16, 2006.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I am working on some new stuff for my '45 chevy. Mainly swapping in a d60 front with 5.13 gears. I have the front and might be ordering gears if my idea of using an ho72 with 5.13s shows any merit. I know of a guy that has 2 of these diffs in his salvage yard and sells them for dirt cheap.

anyway here is my questions

What type of truck do I need to find to get the correct axle from (dually, single wheel, cab chasis and years)

will the disc brake brackets for a 14 bolt work for the type above?

If I cannot find one with a no spin and use a 14 bolt detroit what axle do I need to rob shafts from?

Is there anything else I need to know?

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

the 72 axle is under the 1 tons

dually and single both,

as far as the carrier goes its all models, doesnt matter, chevy, gmc, pickup, burb, longhorn, nine foot step, stakebed, C and C all the same, 30 and 3500 series

47-72 years

the 52 is under the 3/4 tons same years

i dont like these axles because they have a pinion bearing burning up issue commonly, and brake parts are $$$$$$$$$$$

the axle widths followed the same rules as the 14 bolts, dually vs. single and pickup vs C and C, etc

although were no dually pickups

good luck

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I would assume that you would need to look for a C/K 20/30 pick up that is SRW ( if a 30 series ) to get the width that works well with your D60 front end ( although a slightly wider one would not hurt if offered ). PM U2SLOW if he does not see this and respond - he could tell you what color shirt the guy that made the axle was wearing when it was being built.

Do not avoid the HO52's because they are basically a HO72 but with no ring gear load bolt ( this may not be on all HO72's I am not sure ) and they only have two pinion gears riding on a single cross shaft where as the HO72's have four pinion gears riding on a four point cross shaft.
    Since you are going to put a 14FF D/L in it the cross shaft wont matter if it is a HO52.
    The 14FF shaft that you will need should be the 1973 to 1991 SRW solid axle trucks either 3/4 or 1-ton and if I am not mistaken the Cab Chassis narrow dually shaft are the same length as well. The shaft will need to be slightly cut down but nothing scary from what I have read.

The 14FF disc brake brackets should work with the backing plate flange and WMS location of the hub's of the HO72's but don't take my word on that - this is jusr what I have read not what I have seen for myself .

Tom