Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ho trains

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 76zimmer, Dec 30, 2006.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Got a train set for Christmas...........HO scale, Bachman set. Warbonnet Sante Fe engine. Anyone else into model railroading?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I thought you meant HO trains:doah::rolleyes::haha::haha:

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to be really into it when I was a kid in the HO scale. We had a huge basement and well that was all it was, sheets of plywood, with the fake grass and tress and mountains and such. I had a total of about 4 towns and roughly 8 full trains running at a time. I had alot of money in that stff but went up in flames when the house burned in 97

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

HO right here! I love to model trains. Army Barracks is a little small right now, but I'm gonna be building a point to point shortly. Too much good stuff out there to pass up! I'm steam 100%, and not this kind either: [​IMG]

Manny

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I don't have a layout set up, but I do collect lionel trains.. I actually don't mind getting stuck at railroad crossings either..my grandfather worked for the new york central railroad, so I buy whatever I find with those markings..

I have some HO, the nicest I have being an entire amtrak train built from an athearn kit..

Tom

6. 76zimmer

ALL aboard.....or All abort?:doah:

7. 76zimmer

I really took to liking the Warbonnet Sante Fe, when I was a kid, and seen the same engine on tracks near my house, and couldn't believe it, as I thought they were only run west of the Miss. A fellow told me when they merged with BN they started coming east also.
    Anyhow I'm just getting started on a set up again, had a 2 sheet setup when I was a kid, but can't even remember what happened to it. Pop used to have the N guage setup with a Steam Donkey engine, and a few cars too. Ahh the memories.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a bunch. When I was a kid my grandfather spoiled me one christmas with tons of Athearn stuff, and a buddy used to be into it. The most we ever built was one sheet, but we always had at least one or two going at each house. Better days...No video games for us.

I just started getting my son into them about 2 years ago, but we're taking a break for the last year or so while he's more into Star Wars and Superman (or we're probably out of trains, but I came back, so he probably will one day).

We have a couple LGB's that we set up around the christmas tree, and I stapled some HO track to the tree platform, so we still use them once a year. :(

9. 76zimmer

that sounds cool, I always wanted to set one up around the tree, but I never had one til this year, maybe next year I'll do something like that.
    Man, I think its great you can get the son involved, to have them learn some of the stuff your into. My Pop, he still tells me when we are doing something that we've done for so long together......"this is neat having you here to do this with" I'm still thankful for having him around to do it with. He's 75, and doing pretty good.

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

That's what it's all about..my dad is 69, and I still take him with me to the model train shows.. I inherited his old lionel train when I was about 9 or 10, and that's what i got started with.. he always tells me every detail of the layout he had when he was that age.. as a matter of fact, that's how I ended up with that amtrak HO train..I was about 12 years old, and he saw me admiring it.. now, I was a geek with this stuff, as everything had to be period correct on my layout.. my favorite era being the steam to diesel transition.. so, while I appreciated the workmanship of the amtrak train, I wouldn't have bought it for myself, because it was "too modern"... anyway, I went to the mens room, came back, and the seller was boxing it up.. I said " hey dad. someone bought the amtrak train".. he just smiled and said, "yep, it's coming home with us".. so, I was pretty blown away, and y'know what, it looked out of place on the layout, but I didn't care..

As time went on, I ended up tearing down the HO layout, and going with the lionel, but I still have the amtrak boxed up..when I build my office, I'm going to make a nice display for it.

Tom

11. 76zimmer

Cool story Tom, great to have the memories