Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hobart 135...read on

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Sep 5, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey all, I've been looking at welders recently and comparing the various models in my price range. I wasn't planning on buying one until closer to next summer...that is, until I came across this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There is a Northern store sort of near my house, so although I'm happy to see free shipping, it's not crucial. But, it's on sale and I can get it shipped to my door for nothing. So, please give me your input on this welder. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif (I know, I know...another "welder opinion question", sorry /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) I've used a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 before and liked it, but this sounds even better because it's already got the gas conversion stuff. Oh yeah...I'll be using it for sheetmetal replacement mainly, bumpers, sliders/steps (the list is growing). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Should I jump on this deal and order one?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've use this welder before and its quite capable. The 20% duty cycle is a bit annoying for the jobs your really motivated to do because you have to keep stopping and let it cool down.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree about the duty cycle, but it doesn't look like anything in this price range has a higher duty cycle...you have to step up to 220, and I don't have a need for that.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a pretty good price. www.cyberweld.com is usually the cheapest.

If you buy it local you will have to pay sales tax so as long as they are showing out of state where it's billed from then do the online. it will save you a few bucks.

My buddy has one. it worked good for body work. Was low enough settings that never had a problem on duty cycle. On thicker stuff I doubt it would keep up with my 175 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm happy with the hobarts I have done some big projects and mine has performed flawlessly.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

This is what I have and where I got mine

Lincoln SP135T

Just welded my hitch into my frame with 1/4" plate with .035 flux core

Both the welders in this thread to this date are comparable and would be good choices. Looking at Hobarts manufacturer site, both are exactly the same, EXACTLY (well except for current draw or soemthing, I can't tell)

Go with the best deal, I like Lincolns, Hobart is probably just as good

Oh and Hobart makes a mean toaster!

[​IMG]

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Hmmm, I kinda like that one...good price too. Helps to be a little familiar with the Lincoln product as well. I'll probably go with that one when I decide to get one. THANKS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Cool! Lincoln rates their 135A for 1/4, Hobart rates it's for 3/16's. I bet Hobart's being conservative, but anyway, yeah I love my Lincoln.

I made this with it recently, that 1/4" plate project thing I was talking about

[​IMG]

EDIT - Oh yeah, that ebay guy ships FAST FREE and FRIENDLY, suprised the hell out of me when a huge box showed up 2 days after I ordered it. The welder was in its factory box inside a bigger box, and inbetween lots of peanuts (nonedible kind) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    I've use this welder before and its quite capable. The 20% duty cycle is a bit annoying for the jobs your really motivated to do because you have to keep stopping and let it cool down.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true and annoying at times, but after a while you get the hang of spacing out your grinding and wire wheeling and beer time between welding.

I keep blowing breakers with mine? Is this from too much draw on the breaker or the welder shutting itself down, any ideas anyone?

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That lincoln is the MIG/flux core combo, correct? I realize that it comes set up with the gas welding stuff, but what do I have to do to make it use flux core? Is there idlers, tips, gas connections, etc that I have to take out in order to use flux core and vice versa? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My Lincoln SP135 blows breakers when I really crank it up, but only at the house I am living at in Fort COllins...At my house in Denver, I can crank it all the way and weld away, the duty cycle is the only limiting factor then...I think it has to do with the older elcrical in my house in FC...We build the garage in Denver less than 2 years ago so it is fresh and strong...

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is change the tip and run your flux core wire through, thats it.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Put it on a dedicated 20 amp breaker and you shouldn't have anymore problems. The only time mine pops a breaker is on a 15 amp circuit.

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That lincoln is the MIG/flux core combo, correct? I realize that it comes set up with the gas welding stuff, but what do I have to do to make it use flux core? Is there idlers, tips, gas connections, etc that I have to take out in order to use flux core and vice versa? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about that particular welder but on mine you have to flip 2 metal cunducter plates inside. Something with reversing the polarity to use flux core. I rarely use flux core since I have a gas supplier close and the cemetery pays for any gas I use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure about that particular welder but on mine you have to flip 2 metal cunducter plates inside. Something with reversing the polarity to use flux core

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, I forgot that part. On my Lincoln 135, it says to use .035 flux core when welding anything thicker than 1/8 steel. I tried welding 1/4 with .020 and .030 and gas and it didnt penetrate nearly as good and the beads looked very "ropy".

15. Resurrection_Joe

To switch from gas to flux you have to -

1. Flip the drive wheel to whatever size wire you're using

2. Change the ground cable to positive and the gun to negative (opposite of what you use in gas welding)

3. Switch to the appropriate sized tip

4. Take off the damn gas cylinder casue its a bitch to move without a cart /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My lincoln came with all the instruction on the inside of the cover and all the tools to switch stuff around. It did not however come with flux wire or tips so thats gonna set you back about..... $15 hahahahaha. I was so pissed sunday morning when I realized I had the wire but no tips...

16. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    Put it on a dedicated 20 amp breaker and you shouldn't have anymore problems. The only time mine pops a breaker is on a 15 amp circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The breaker that keeps blowing is a 20, and the only thing I have running besides that are the shop light and a radio, and I think the lights are not on that particular breaker...

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That thing draws 20 amps. If anything else is on that circuit it will blow. Also, if there are a lot of outlets in the circuit or if the push in outlets-where the wire pushes into the outlet instead of using the screw terminals-were used you'll get more resistance and blow the breaker. Last, if you are using an extension cord=more R, blown breaker. Right now, if I'm doing something big, I use the outlet I put in for X-mass lts, its a 20 amp circuit w/ one outlet and ~ 20' of 12ga wire. When I add the new outlets to the garage it will be 3 outlets on a 30 amp breaker & 10ga wire. Just for a little margine of error. What ever you do, just don't put a bigger breaker on the old wire-you probably knew that though.