Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hobart or Lincoln on a portable gas machine?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by rjfguitar, Jan 22, 2007.

?

Lincoln Ranger 10 or Hobart Champion 10?

1. Lincoln Ranger 10

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Hobart Champion 10

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't make up my mind between a new Hobart Champion 10,000 or a Lincoln Ranger 10,000.

Both are nearly identical as in they are both portable welders with the same 20HP Kohler twin cylinder engine, 225 amp rating, and 10,000 watt max 120/240 AC power.

I can get the Hobart for $2700 at my door and I can get a Ranger 10,000 for about $2900 or so. Which should I go with?

The winner will be going into my K30 3+3 service truck and will be hooked to my 220V air compressor, run 110V power tools, and obviously stick weld often.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which unit would you go with and why?

(Miller is not an option because the Bobcat 225 is physically larger than these two and space is top priority in my truck, plus the Millers cost more)

2. badboycrawler

badboycrawler Registered Member

If it were me, I would go with the Lincoln, only because I have 2 Lincoln welders in my shop and have had no problems with them, However, Im not saying the the Hobart is not a good welder, I have just never worked with them. But a lot of offroaders swear by them.

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

lincoln owns hobart, no? i say go with the cheaper of the 2, especially if all the ratings are the same and warranties...

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sorry its miller = hobart. i have a hobart. 98% parts say miller.

lincoln i think is weldmark for low end. from what i have found so far.

all good units and i will not say anything bad about hobart.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

miller owns hobart. I own a Miller & love my Miller. I have used several Miller mig welders & arc welders & loved them all. I would go Hobart if it was me.

Harley

6. rjfguitar

Thats another thing why I ruled out Miller, the Hobart is nearly the same unit.

I like miller too, I've got two other Miller portables, a Big 40, Trailblazer 5G, and a dinky 'Matic 135.

One Lincoln 220v Mig in the shop.

7. rjfguitar

I added a pole!

8. sweetk30

our local welding guru weld anything guy has miller units in his shop. he finaly burnt up his almost 20 year old welder about 3 years ago. and he dosnt stop welding at all. he is so good he does even magnesium. he dosnt like it but will do it.

and his new one to replace the old was a nice new blue miller.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hobart, have used it and the same miller, the things sat on the back of out truck day in day out, rain snow winter what ever, running all day long, or restarting every 2 min to grind somthing elce or what ever.

nothing against the lincon just have experance witht he hobart

10. rjfguitar

So are you saying go with the Hobart or Lincoln?:haha:

Te Millers are good, but I have plenty of Miller stuff and want something different, the Millers cost a bit more, and the Bobcat is too large compared to the other two.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Lincoln, only because every Hobart I've ever used has been a steaming pile of crap. Hobart may be owned by Miller, but it is the gap toothed, red headed step sister...not the identical twin in different clothes.

In 20 years and through a dozen different shops I have yet to find a Hobart that ran reliably, smoothly and with a big fat sweet spot like the Lincolns and Millers I've used have had.

We have one Hobart in our shop right now...and nobody will use it, including my boss.

Rene

12. sweetk30

i was basicly saying if his millers work that good but you dont want to spend the green for one go step down and get hobart.

a few portable welder guys in my area run that same hobart unit.

13. rjfguitar

Just remember, just because someone has good luck with a brand doesn't mean it's the best. :wink1:

I've had Lincoln machines too and they are just as good.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When it comes to cars, trucks, welders, computers, this, that, anything else.... If one company was making something so much better than their competitors, their competitors wouldn't sell anything. (thats my usuall line with the Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge threads).

The Millers don't cost that much more, just a few hundred more than Hobart and Lincoln. That was secondary for me, mainly just a bonus with the other two.

Miller is out of the question SOLEY because their Bobcat 225 is too large. It's like 10" longer and a 6" or so wider.

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

rf.. Ive welded with both...
    I have the ranger on my welding rig and I love it.. but Im biased Im a red man and have all red welders...mine has super low hours but it has never seen the shop for anything
    I wired it from my vehicle battery so I can have one battery drive my welder and my air compressor and not have some little garden tractor battery going bad all the time.. also keeps idiots from starting the equipment unless I want it started. great when Im around somebodys house with kids,,,

you cant go wrong with either of them..
    I toured lincolns plant *they are an employee owned company.* and Ive been to several of their schools... I have to say it is one awesome operation.. your welder is built by one team from start to finish.. and no less than 4 sets of eyes quality check it

I think.. and I dont have any real evidence to back it up other than personal observation that lincoln is more aggressive at being on the cutting edge of technology.. miller still cant touch my powermig/python gun with anything in their inventory for welding aluminum... I like the miller spool gun but it isnt even in the same ballpark as a python

I have my ranger setup for mig with an ln25.. hardwire and fluxcore, and stick,, and a hi freq box for tig
    I have never used the tig.. it was a waste of money..if I need to tig Im going to do it in the shop.. its just that simple
    I rarely need or use stick.. the ln25 does everything stick does.. maybe other than some odd ball cast iron repair.. which is once or twice n my lifetime where I would have to do it in the field

Funny.. I also carry a little sp135hd in the box for little jobs.. the ln 25 is heavy when loaded with a 30 pound spool and dragging a 1000 feet of cable gets tiring
    Seems to me most of the guys I see have millers on their rigs.. its like ford or chevy.. (or hehe DODGE).. comes down to personal preference...

15. rjfguitar

Well, I called everywhere and nobody had a Chamion 10000 Hobart in stock for me to look at. :( Plenty of Rangers though.

My local store I usually go through is going to bring up a Champion from their store in Fresno and they already have the Ranger in stock.

When it comes in next week I am going to go and look at both side by side and bring one of them home.;)

16. rjfguitar

I brought home the Hobart yesterday.

The ranger is a little shorter, but a little longer. I liked the shorter factor, I also liked the Hobart face better, I think the knobs are simpler and easier to turn.

The Hobart lacks a couple of features that the Ranger has, like A/C power to work with a MIG suitcase. It also can be used as a scratch tig machine.

I have a Lincoln idealarc 220v MIG for the shop, and if for some weird reason I need a mig in the field, I've got a Millermatic 135 that I could just run off the generator of the Hobart, so I felt those added features on the Lincoln probably wouldn't do me any good. All I ever need in my service truck is a generator and something to run some 6011 with.

I really like my new Hobart, it's a fairly smooth machine. I will say, it's a noisy sucker. Tommorrow I'm going to put it in my service truck.

Thanks guys for the tips.

17. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you had to go blue didnt you...

hey, nice machine.. now pay for it!!! weld something unusual for ck5 people,, that left hand mickey wiget every ck5er cant do without

what are you going to do with it?

18. rjfguitar

Well, econo blue, with a light grey on the outside.:wink1:
    It is going in my service truck, I'm a farmer and have all kinds of stuff to weld all the time. It just varies all the time, I've had to weld cracked trailers, to disks falling apart, to hard facing, and a lot of fabricating.

It will get used soon, I'll post a pic when I get it in my truck.:wink1: