Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hobart vs. Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Nov 19, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into getting a welder come spring and I need some suggestions. I need a 110v mig that is flexible enough to do body work without major warping issues and has enough power to do up to 3/16 or 1/4 preferably. Why welder is better and why? Thanks for your time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

They both are about the same, I personally went with the lincoln just because it was a little cheaper.
    They both are good welders /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Ditto with what 85mudblazin said. They are the same quality, might just be a personal preferance of one over the other.

/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a lincoln 110 and I can't stand it. It just isn't powerfull and I am convinced after buying this mistake that I will stick with 220 because 110 just isn't enough for my use.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I have a 110V Hobart.
    Might be the 135 model, would have to double check. Has 4 heat ranges and variable wire speed. Is gas capable, just need the regulator, currently use flux core wire.

If you want to weld sheet metal get the gas with it. The flux core is harder to control, IMO, at lower temps required for sheet metal. Have welded some heavy stuff with mine, just have to make multiple cover passes sometimes. Also flux core is smokey and has lots of splatter.

No complaints on my Hobart.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I have a Lincoln 100HD, w/ flux core only. Have to buy the gas hook-up. With the flux core I don't think you'd see a difference between the two. But if I had it to do over I would have gone w/ a bigger unit, like the Lincoln 175. The smaller units would not handle too much high current welding with the short duty cycle times. Either way you'd want gas for sheet metal.

7. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The 110 is flexible, that's what I have now. However, a 220 is what I would buy if I had to do it over again.

Every shop I have ever worked in or been to uses Miller. I have never seeen anyone use/own a Hobart.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have the Lincoln Pro Mig 135 and really like it. No complaints.... If I were to buy another Lincoln 110 though, I'd get the SP 135 plus. It has more heat ranges to select from.. That'd be nice for more fine tuning.

*Edit* My Lincoln Pro Mig 135 came with the regulator for adding gas. Only thing i need to get is the cylinder.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont own a mig at home,just an arc(stick)welder,but I have used many at work and at my brothers shop.I'd strongly reccomend to anyone thinking of buying a mig to save up the cash to buy a 220V version,with the gas bottle--I've had very poor results with the 110v versions with the flux core wire on body repair panel work,and they are too wimpy too weld a frame or trailer hitch with-but I'd arc weld them anyway,since I am a better stick welder than I am with the mig(I dont get enough practice with the mig to get really good at it).At my friends shop we used a "Shmucker"or something like that name,they make battery chargers too,a 110v cheapie mig with flux core wire,and it was a POS--you could hardly weld an exhaust pipe with it--looked like a pile of bird crap,with hardly any penatration,then he decided to shell out the bucks to refill the bottle on his Miller 220v mig,and WOW--even a boob like me with little experience could lay a textbook looking bead with that welder--he sold the 110v one for 50 bucks,and doesnt miss it at all.Of course this might not be for everyone,but if you plan on doing any frames or heavy metal work,the 220v mig is far superior--even on thin stuff like mufflers and pipes and sheet metal I found the big welder much easier to use and got much better results--maybe its just me,but thats my thoughts on mig welders. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking into getting a welder come spring and I need some suggestions. I need a 110v mig that is flexible enough to do body work without major warping issues and has enough power to do up to 3/16 or 1/4 preferably. Why welder is better and why? Thanks for your time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any 120v welder will work for sheet metal..
    I have a 120V lincoln sp100..
    It will weld up to 1/8...

If you want to weld 3/8's...220V...is what you need...250 AMP unit.

11. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

Why not a Miller? We have a 110 and 220 both set up flux core, but you can hook a bottle up to either one. I agree if you are going to do body work definetley go with gas the flux core splatters to much just as good just messier. Splurge for the 220V it will do anything you want. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

EAT BEEF

12. biobry

biobry Registered Member

I have had a Hobart Handler 135 for over a year now and I am very happy with it. Use it with shielding gas it works great on sheet metal and light structural steel. It was surprisingly easy to get used to.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Hobart is made by miller. IIRC the only difference internally is the wire feed rollers, other than that they are practically identical. Id by a Hobart.

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I would *love* to get a 220v welder but its just not in the cards. My rents don't want me welding in their garage for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif because they think I'll burn the house down or something. So everytime I weld I have to go over to my buddy's shop. So portability is a MUST. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would *love* to get a 220v welder but its just not in the cards. My rents don't want me welding in their garage for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif because they think I'll burn the house down or something. So everytime I weld I have to go over to my buddy's shop. So portability is a MUST. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the smaller 220v migs are about the same size(physically) as the 110v units. For a good example, go to Lowes and look at the Pro Mig 135 and the Pro Mig 175(220v). Same outer dimensions.... And this usually pertains to most of the 175a-200a units.

16. azblazer69

azblazer69 Registered Member

As far as brand names go both are good. Miller and even Century make good welders too... If you have to have a 120v you can forget about welding anything more than 1/8th inch with good penetration... Not that the welder can't do it, your breaker probably can't... Go with gas if you can, flux core sucks, it is better than nothing though... Like anything else buy the best you can afford... If you can't afford a real nice one you might consider buying a cheapie for your light work and a cheap stick welder for your heavier stuff... Although you'll need a 240v outlet for the Arc...

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have had a Hobart Handler 135 for over a year now and I am very happy with it. Use it with shielding gas it works great on sheet metal and light structural steel. It was surprisingly easy to get used to.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same welder and I wouldn't even trade it for a bigger unit.

I paid $219 + shipping for it and I've welded all kinds of stuff with it and been real happy.

18. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I like the 110V, I can plug it in anywhere.
    Plus my 5500 Watt generator will run it at its highest setting for remote welding. That is one good thing about fluxcore wire. Welding can still be done in high wind conditions.

19. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

If im not mistaken hobart is a rebadged lincoln. before i bought my welder i did a lot of research w/ people and on pirate and found a miller to be the best one you can get for the money. its not only a better all around machine, but if it does break down the customer service was top notch in every case i looked into.

20. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Hobart= Miller with plastic parts

Miller 210 with the spool gun option and dual gas setup is what I use, 240v and I love it....

More $$$, but longer duty cycle, more variety of material welding ability, etc...

Just my .02