Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hockey Puck Body lift, who has done it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 5, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Do hockey pucks really hold up well? I'm considering doing it on my S10. Could use a 1" body lift for engine, exhaust, and misc. other clearances.

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Having played hockey for 14years pucks do hold up well. But i wouldnt use em in a body lift, they are made of a hard brittle rubber that will chunk out perty good over time.

3. mich6212

mich6212 Registered Member

Talk about a blast from the past! I grew up in metro-Detroit, and we all pretty much played hockey at some point in our lives. Yes, in fact that was my very first, i mean very first mod i ever did. Then came bigger meats. On a '72 K-5, I used three of them stacked up, in fact. That was some 18 years ago, wow. :eek1: Now I only had that truck about a year and a half, but with some quality hardware and proper torquing I experienced no problems. I did also see "my" truck about 2 years later, still with the same body lift kit installed. So I hope this helps you. IMHO I would do it again too, but thats me. :D

4. nickdubrule41

nickdubrule41 Registered Member

iv got them.i dont have a body lift i just used one in place of the stock body mount. they seem to be working fine

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

in my opinon if you need to ask this you dont need to do it. the name says it all hockey pucks. please dont do it. vary scary. your life is not worth it if the body comes off the frame.

i dont want to sound like a a$$ but that stuff is just wrong and scary.:doah:

6. mich6212

mich6212 Registered Member

bah humbug! :haha:

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

8. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

Good Call

Good Call!!!
    1. as stated above, your life isn't worth tring to save a few bucks
    2. As I have learned from 7 years experience, do it right the first time and dont worry about it

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Actually its not just his life- its the life of the mini van full of someones wife and kids- whose life is in jeopardy if this is done.

Body lifts are CHEAP compared to everything else done to these rigs

Brandy

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but if people keep insisting on having to do stupid things like this, by all means do it! It'skinda like natural selection. LOL but please if you must do it before procreating. That way you can be nominated for the darwin award and also you are removing your dna from the gene pool thus helping us the smart people out :waytogo:

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

on a more constructive note, ord shackle flips and a 52" front install are really cheap and will run circles around body lifts.

12. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Hockey Pucks

I know a lot of people with this done and they can't wait to get a real lift so they can have a piece of mind. They have to check them all the time, and if you wheel alot they can bust out when flexing. Just my two cents.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Some of you are posting like this is the only thing I'm doing to a rig. I'm no idiot here folks.

We are talking about an S10 with Dana 60 front axle, 14 bolt rear, 383 under the hood, 52" front springs, 56" rears and a bunch of other stuff. And it will almost certainly be 100% offroad(just to difficult to make it legal).

I already stated, the body lift is for extra engine and drivetrain clearance. S10s are TIGHT, a little room will be a god send. THe rig is also getting a full cage(tied to the frame), if that body were able to come off, it would be because my welds failed.

I have to call ORD this weekend and see what a 1" kit will cost from them for it.

Next time you guys decide to talk down to me like I have no clue about the dangers of body lifts, keep it to yourselves, I was looking for info on the structural integrity of hockey pucks, as far as I knew they were made of plastic not rubber. SOme have obviouslly used them with success, others state that they crumble, the crumble factor says, stay away from me with a drill bit to me, so I will do just that.

14. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey, man. I had my body lift made. Got a friend that works in maintance where they have a lathe. He took some 3" round stock of a hard poly like material and cut it down to my desired height of 2" and center drilled them. They've worked great for the last 2 years and didn't cost me a thing. Alot of manufacturers/buisness keep stuff like this on hand in their shops. Just bought the new bolts, nuts and washers. I had less than $20 in mine. PM me if you want to know more or would like a picture.

15. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Ah, the good old S10. Ya you have no other choice but to do some type of body lift. My buddy had to do the same thing. Some guys around here use some stuff that I call teflon. They get it in a big cylinder and cut it to the height they want. Not sure what it is really called but it is worth looking into.

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hay sled dog. you asked what we think. if you dont like it then dont ask. we all gave are best opinons. if you know its not safe then why even ask or run it.

this is all i will say any more on this sore subject.:doah: :thinking: :ignore:

17. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Hockey pucks are made of vulcanzed (sp?) rubber.

I've seen some people do the puck lift, it works, and if you use decent quality NEW pucks ... can be safe.

that said,

I would never do it.

18. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

well i had 2 hockey pucks for my front core support mounts, and i got pulled over for no plate lights, well the cop was trying to find my front bumper(didnt have one), and noticed the pucks, well he gave me a 50$ fine for each puck.

i wouldnt recomend it.

oh and yes a one inch body lift is a must for an s10 with a v8, i took a 2 inch lift and cut the pucks in half. makes a hell of a difference in clearance issues

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:yikes: since when did we al stop believing in the 2 most important tooks in custom work? Being a BIG hammer and a sawzall :dunno: can make anything fit w/o parts or money :waytogo:

20. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

o trust me a bfh and sawzall was a big part of the build, as was the flame wrench :weld: