Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H'ok... Have an opportunity to get a full team of sled trained Huskies for FREE...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Jul 10, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I don't know exactly how many dogs there are in this particular team, nor do I know the reason behind the offer at this point, but I do know that the dogs are between 5 and 10 years old and already trained to pull a sled and listen to a musher. I had already intended to get at least 1 more, if not 2 more Huskies before I'm done, but I'd like to know what you guys think... Here's some background info.

- We have one Husky right now who just turned one year old tomorrow...

- We have a 1 acre back yard that could very well be fenced and dressed for a team of dogs...

- We have a 5 1/2 year old son who loves our current dog, and wants to know when we are getting another one.

- The dog team would stay out in a very large kennel throughout the year, only coming into the house for bathing (once every 2-3 months)

- Loki (our current dog) will remain a house dog, and have a seperate kennel from the team for when we are gone for the day.

- Loki will be trained to lead the team (I'm hoping that the lead dog is one of the older dogs)

- We are in the process of buying a business, and money will be tight for a couple weeks or at most 2 months...

- It costs us $30.00 a month to feed Loki. If there are 5 dogs in the team, it will cost us $150.00 extra per month, which I find acceptable.

- I will not immediately have the time to keep the new dogs running due to the acquisition of above mentioned business, but after we get the ball rolling, the dogs will be pulling 24/7.

- I will likely apply for Husky rescue status if I get these dogs due to current laws in my city about owning only 2 dogs maximum. If I'm a Non-Profit rescue, the city can't do a damn thing.

I guess that's it... if I forgot any information that you'd like to know, please ask... it's late and I can't think straight... I'm too excited...

By the way, I finally finished my pond!! I'll post pictures of it sometime this week.

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

biggest thing isnt the cost of the added dogs it is the added time to care for them and with starting a new bussisness or taking over a existing one that will make time real real short.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Do what you want....

I dont have any advice---but I'm glad I'm not your neighbor... :surepal: --I have heard enough from the ONE Husky-Sheperd mix a few houses away in the past 6 years to last me a lifetime!..... :crazy:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You think that they could learn to swim? Maybe pull a small boat through the swamp to the duck blind? :D

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

as im shure u know because u have one already, Huskies are full of energy and u cant keep em couped for long periods all the time. the require lots of attention and exercise. weekly grooming and general health care (ear cleaning, nail trimming, flea/tick/mite control, ect..) for them is important IMO. my wife took care of 3 huskies and litter-although enjoyed it- was quite a bit of time. I guess the main question is getting lic. to be a rescue, then be able to be certified and possible inspections-not to shure how strict they are there. it will be a hand and half full so i would say think and discuss it, it will be a whole family involed thing, but very fun and rewarding. we would hook em up to a gutted go-cart and go to the store n stuff. very fun :laugh:

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A team I believe consists of like 7 dogs. An acre will not be bug enough for a team. I had a larger area when I had my siberian and she was still a bottle rocket. I wouls say stick with the one you have now and wait on the others. They do require alot of time for grooming and care. One things for sure I do not miss it when they blow there coats........... Could you imaging the hair with 8 or so dogs.....

7. PhoenixZorn

My dog doesn't bark or howl unless we tell him to... he occasionally yips when he's outside and wants to come in, but nothing like a husky shepherd mix... the shepherd is the barker, the huskies are generally quiet.

My acre yard is only a place for the dogs to sleep... if I were to get these dogs and start a rescue, they would have a concrete slab about 80 feet long and 20 feet deep, divided and individually housed. They would get run daily on a 15 mile bike path and continue their training as sled dogs, as I have dreamed of having a team for the last few years. Exercise would be an every day routine. A modified 'Trike' for the warm months, and a full length toboggan style sled for the snowy months.

The hair issue, I can deal with. The other 5-7 dogs I'd own would be pretty much outside dogs, and would get groomed just as often as they are exercised, as it is a critical part of caring for this breed. I have done my research, and I know I can handle the added responsibility. Grooming in general is tedious, but before I got married to a Physical Therapist, I was going to school to become a veterinarian and worked for a vet, so I have some training in the health care end of these animals too.

The licensing part is going to be the most unstable bridge to cross. I would need to prove that I intend to rescue ANY husky that is brought to my door, care for them, and attempt to find them suitable homes. Actually taking any more rescues would depend on the size of my operation. Proving that I am not just in it to have my own dog team (which I'm not) will be difficult. I would seriously enjoy running a dog rescue, though I'm not sure my cats would appreciate it. =)

Don't take my statements to mean that I've already made up my mind about getting the dogs. I will not be rushing into this just to have a full team of already trained animals... that isn't my deal. This will take much more research, funding from outside sources (government, investors, etc...) and lots of patience on my part with a plethora of problems I know I'd face if I were the owner of 8 dogs.

Currently, I only know that the dogs are available. I don't know their temperment, level of training, or even what sexes I'd be getting. I did find out today that the team was trained and ran in Alaska, and that the ages range from 5-7, not 5-10, which makes it an even better offer knowing that none of them will be too old to run for at least 3-4 years. I don't even know if I am able to get the NPO(Non-Profit Organization) status in a city... I may have to rent farm land from a neighbor to qualify for the business to begin with. I'd still appreciate hearing other responses and suggestions, so please feel free to post up.

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We had a farmyard rescue before we moved back to the big city (yuck). The biggest hurdle we had to jump was the approval of the neighborhood. After that it wasn't so much trouble.

9. PhoenixZorn

Ok, anyone know any regulations for fences, yard size, etc, for a dog rescue? I know where to get NPO status, but have no idea who to apply for rescue status from.