Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hold my hand (engine replace/rebuild question)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKE, Feb 5, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I do not know what to do.
    My 350 runs like a champ never whimpers or whines, but is obviously tired and old. All the smog stuff has bit the dust, vaccum tubes are god only knows. The carb is a mess. The motor mounts are broken I am at the limit of my basic tune up knowledge. I am planning a few long drives, moving and it will become my day driver. the engine has well over 200,000 on it and i fear that it might bite the big one. Should I rebuild, by a new crate, or tuff it out and put new intake/carb type stuff on it? i can not do any of the major work myself( appartment/no garage/time/knowlege/tools) I thought one of you might wana jump in and guide me before i let a mechanic have at it.

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

As long as it runs like a champ I wouldn't do anything major like a rebuild. I would fix the small stuff, like motor mounts, carb, etc. This reminds me of an old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

My '74 has been the same way for 3 years now.....runs good, but smokes a little on start-up. I've been worried about it for 3 years now and it just keeps goin'. At some point I'll have to do something and I don't want it to be half way between "here and there" but I think I'll just chill and let it go for now. Sorry, that probably wasn't much help.....

4. unsane

unsane Guest

rebuild....crate engines are over rated

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This reminds me of an old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

[/ QUOTE ] U mean, if it aint broke fix it till it is...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Wheeler... Dude... I like you. "Crate engines are highly over-rated..." Amen brutha'

Finding a good custom engine builder and getting to take up some of his time, then getting exacty the engine you want is a beautiful experience. It works two ways too... When your customer comes back with his 4X4 and says "That thing runs better than it ever did." You walk around all the next day thinking all is well in your universe /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My biggest gripe with "crate engines" is that your stuck with whatever whoever is selling. No crate is created equal... Some guys know how to build a good engine, some guys are god-like in their ability to build engines, and many are hacks that can only sell engines out of the area they live in. The words "Crate Engine" have become the latest buzzword in the car industry. Its like saying "Assault Rifle" or "Militia Groups."

Even before I got into engine building it seemed logical to have a local guy with a solid reputation build me an engine. I knew that this crate thing was way out of hand when I drove past Checker and saw a sign in the window "Crate engines starting at 500 bucks." Most 350s I build have 400-600 bucks worth of quality parts in them...

Let me make one thing abundantly clear... I'm not on this forum to sell MY product. I promise that I WON'T EVEN mention the name of the shop that I work at. I sure as hell ain't about to post our 800 number in my signature line either. I'm here becuase I'm WAY into 4 diggers, and I like seeing whats up in this industry... If I ever sell out and start building "Crate engines." I'll never get into the high RPM buzzbomb motors that are supposed to deliver 700 horsepower. I'll build stout 4 digger engines that will last, and not grenade when you're in the ass end of nowhere...

Rule of thumb. Walk into an engine machine shop thats been in your area at least 10 years, make sure there's less than 5 employee's, nobodys walking around looking lost or ignorant, ask to see the work area, make sure you like the guys, ask lots of questions about your engine, make sure the guy knows what you want to build, and remember that even NASA has a budget... Any idiot can make 8 holes round and straight enough to seal up with cast rings, bolt 1400 bucks worth of heads onto it with 1000 bucks worth of roller cam, and make lots of horsepower. You seperate the men from the boys when you can consistantly build healty small blocks for pick-ups and cars UNDER 2 grand.