Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hold the phone, just found a Burb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty1, Aug 22, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

OK, while truck shopping for a late model Tahoe/Yukon I found a 90 GMC SLE 1/2 4x4 in excellent++ condition, 117K, rear air, 3rd seat, interior smells clean and very little rust, was traded in by original owner and looks to have been garage kept as the dash is not faded or cracked. It has brand new 33" Yokahama Geo landers with AR aluminum wheels, the dealer wants $6500 but I think cash will change that. What do you folks think?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like a decent deal. Just make sure that it has the right gears. 3.08's and 33's is NOT a good combination. Here's the list of codes for the axle ratio. Check the sticker in the glove box and see which of the following codes match up:

GU2 = 2.73
    GU4 = 3.08
    GU6 = 3.42
    GT4 = 3.73
    GT5 or GT8 = 4.10
    G80 = Gov-lock

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it should have 3.73s. oh and get it it sounds good to me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Thanks much, I am going to check out a Tahoe, had it lined up before, but on way back I am going to look at the Burb. It has the tow package and if my limited knowledge holds up the gears for the package should be 3:73 which would not be too bad turning 33"s

5. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I checked the RPOs and it had a GT4 and G80. On the test drive the front end felt good, the shocks are worn, front has the double shocks. The tranny had couple bumps shifting once or twice but the rest of the time it was smooth, tranfer case works good, it has auto hubs but they appear to work. I think it is the 4L60E trans b/c it had the overdrive on the selector. A few rough edges but probably the best 90's Burb I have seen, carpet and seats could use a good cleaning. Everything seems to work.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I *thought* that the 1/2 tons had 700R4 trannies, though I donno when the 4L60E came into being.

The 3/4's had TH400's through 1990, but you might luck out and find a '91 with a 4L80E ... I'm a little bummed I didn't hold out for the '91 to get OD, but then there are sooo few '91's here in CA for sale.

7. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

You are correct, it has the 700R4