Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hole cut in back cargo area

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebelrockin, Dec 27, 2002.

1. rebelrockin

rebelrockin 1/2 ton status

I purchased my 1987 K5 Blazer last year, unkown to me the back cargo area carpet was always wet, smelling gas fumes. I removed the carpet back and found that the previous owner had cut a 12x12 area to fold back the flooring to get to the sending unit.
    Yeah it is handy I am tired of moisture in my rig, I have had to replace the sending unit myself.
    Has anyone one made any hatches or anything of the sort for this. The hitch is welded on there pretty good. It will cost me a pretty penny to get it taken off and the tank dropped to fix the problem. then relpace the flooring.
    I am up for any idea's. Much appreciated

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe you caould take a piece of metal and screw it to the floor with sheetmetal screws. Put some silicon on it before you stick it down.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Go to the salvage yard and cut a 14x14 peice of floor out of another truck. Then use some silicone and sheetmetal screws to cover it back up. That's the way my rig is done. Make sure anything that is not hit with silicose is painted to keep from rusting.

KP

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

or you could cut out another piece from your floor to cover it...wait, that won't work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just buy some sheet metal and screw it in. I wouldn't weld, might be a nice option.

5. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Where in oregon are you? I may have a floor I was thinking needed a good home, from whative seen when I replaced the carpet, it looked in greatshape. Pm me if interested

6. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I would get a peice of flooring about an inch bigger than the hole and screw it to the bloor using some rubber for a gasket or some roof cement....just my .02

7. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Be careful about silicone. I've seen older trucks where the owners have used silicone in the seams with good intentions but the silicone has actually deteriorated the metal and caused some major rust on an otherwise solid and rust free truck. Everytime I've seen silicone on an older truck, I've seen the associated rust! Try using body caulk, plumbers putty, or good old weather stripping from the hardware store. I'd try hinging the patch and put in a latch for way easy access. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's something y'all will want to check out.
    Access Plate
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

That's the ticket. Any water seepage issues?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't know, the pics and the link are from a year and a half ago from another member who I don't think is around anymore, but go ahead and read the thread and PM the thread starter. I just happened to have the thread saved. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif