Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hole in 700r-4 bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Subject pretty much says it all, I was heading up 75 north on my way home from work and the tranny would not upshift. I pulled off on the M-15 exit only to discover a hole in the passenger side bellhousing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif! The converter didn't explode, but it does have visible witness marks on it, and the flexplate didn't explode because I can tick the starter over (did so to try and inspect the TC).

What could've blown the hole in my bellhousing?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does it look like what ever it was came from outside the bellhousing or something that came from the inside? Road debris kicked up by a tire? Could be a bolt out of the flexplate to torque converter. Is the lower sheild in place? If not something could have gotten into the spinning flexplate and been flung around till it made its way out. Last but not least Angry Gremlins???

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nut or bolt soemhow, hmm,, is it closer to engine mating flange of bellhousing or closer to front pump of tranny ?

id have it welded soon before stress cracks it and it gets worse fast.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Thinking about it, I've come to realize that it was probably one of the bolts that holds the converter onto the flexplate /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I'm pissed because the trans only has 4200 miles on it and now its basically junk. Why would the trans not upshift? I'd be fine if the dang thing would at least work... cause then I could patch the hole somehow... but it all seems pointless to do now

Tranny shop won't warranty it either because its past 12 months.... but not the 12,000 miles... but if its a converter bolt that came out do you guys think that I could use that to make the eat a new trans? Aren't they supposed to use new bolts, like the ones with the thread locker right in the nut, or at least use some threadlock?!?!??
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif