Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hole in gas tank.....Plz Help *Update with pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jan 22, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, I was driving on the backroads and took a corner that was icy too fast and ended up puttin the front end in the ditch. No biggie right? Well we couldn't back out cause its too steep so we dug a path to drive through but what we didn't know was that there was a culvert underneath the truck.....Of course when the truck came down into the ditch, the culvert and my gas tank had an argument. Needless to say, the tank lost and now $80 worth of gas is spilling out as I type this. I was just wondering if I have to buy a a new gas tank or if there is an epoxy or something else I can use to fix it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'll try to get my pics up soon.

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Hole in gas tank.....Plz Help

how big is the hole?

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I know the napa stores down here sell a epoxy mix witha piece of fiberglass mesh as a kit. I have used it to fix small pinholes, and seam splits, But never fixed anyting big with it. If you can't find the kit, All it really is, is 2 part epoxy and a chunk of woven fiberglass. How big is the damaged area?

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well the actually hole is like a slit about 1/2 and inch long. Think it could be done?

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The patch kit will work perfect for that small hole. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

7. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

A quick fix that has worked for me on the trails and on the job ( on a deisel dump truck saddle tank) is to rub a bar of soap over the area until it stops leaking. Probably too late for you, but good for the future and others. This is by no means a permanent fix, but will get you to a place to fix the tank.

Just keep an old bar of ivory in the glovebox.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Can I JB Weld it?

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

I have used J_B weild, but only on dry gas tank,
    no gasoline present.
    YRWV

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I'll have to drop the gas tank, drop it, and let it dry for a few hours then do that I spose...

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

drop tank and take to nearest radiator shop and they can solder patch it easy for a few bucks, these guys are talented at this type of repair on tanks, be it radiator or not, brass or not, dont do some stupid cheap repair on fuel tank, thats asking for big trouble, can end up hurting yourself and/or others if it fails, you were driving too fast and lost control and so now you have to fix it right and pay what it takes, although you should be able to just find another tank for about free from someone parting a truck near you somewhere. alot of us have tossed so many nice clean ones in scrap in the past that its way past funny, and then ended up needing one or two of them and is by then way too late /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

J B weld will work. It's a 2 part epoxy. I would use the fiberglass with it. It will add some strength. Soap or wax will stop any fuel from leaking out, But if your gonna have tank out, That would be better. Scuff the area down with 40 or 60 grit sandpaper. Put a layer of J B weld down, cover with a layer of fiberglass and lay another coat of epoxy over top.

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I tore a small hole in my tank a couple years ago.I just plugged it by rubbing a bar of soap on it.If I drive in the rain or hose off the underside it washes the soap away but I just rub it on again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I carry a bar in the glove box /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

As R72K5 said take it to radiator shop. They can breeze it up, check for leaks and reseal it... Plan on leaving it for a day or so so they can boil the tank out and reseal it afterwards...... That or buy a new tank..... But they should be able to repair it from what you have described....

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i just used this silly putty type cold weld, just like JB weld but with the texture of play dough. It said it can be used under water, so its great for gas tanks, says right on the package and hardens in like 10 minutes.. heres a link i got it from kragen
    Quick Steel
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Muti-purpose 'miracle' cure as used by Britain's major breakdown recovery services.

For use in repairs, leaks, cracks and holes. Adheres to and bonds virtually all solid surfaces including; all metals, wood, masonry, and most plastics.
    Easy to use putty - just cut off the required amount, knead well and apply.
    Sets as hard as steel in just 15 mins.
    Seals while leaks are occurring - including diesel and petrol leaks.
    Resistant to heat and chemicals ( from -70 to +260 Degrees Celsius)
    Stays malleable for up to three years after opening.
    Quick Steel can be drilled, sawn, milled, ground, filled, tapped, sanded, painted and lacquered once it has cured.

[/ QUOTE ]

16. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i had a 1 1/2" crack just like yours and i used that quick steel, epoxie, jb weld, and every time i went out that crap came off or cracked. i finaly took off the tank. went to the quarter wash sprayed it out with the hot sopy water then rinced it out. then went home and brased (weld) it up and have never had a problem since. that crap you stick on will break next time you hit a bump or flex.

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, I haven't had a problem so far but I guess I may have to build a bumper with an attached gas tank skid plate or something.

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

with my old tank in my truck befor i replaced it..i tryed JB welding it befor a trail run and it just wont stick if the gas is coming out..

19. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

o yea before you do any thing to fix it drill two small holes one at each end of the crack to stop it from splitting any more