Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hole in saddle tank...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Nov 1, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well on this 81 C-10 i just got, the driver saddle tank is poked up front bottom fine stream of fuel coming out

the hole has been metal paste patched pver by previous owner, but continues to leak, changing tank would be a whore, fro having cut up many of these trucks in the past i have found that removing the eight bolts holding straps assemblies directly to frame rails is easiest way to drop a saddle tank, or should i use the pass side saddle tank i have laying around from a 77-79 i cut up last fall and put it in and put hole in bedside for filler cap ? would hnole sin frame rail on pass side be there already ? anks straps and such didnt change pattern in 81 did they ?

what would you do ?
    thanks for anything,

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure the tanks are interchangable from side to side. You could put the mounting straps from the old one on the good one you have. Problem solved.

Mike

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well problem is that i threw away all my tanks i used ot have, i had all kinds around for both sides, but i do have pas sside tank still on the 74 i could rob for the 81, and then later find another driver side tank, and have duals if i can find a switcher unit(technical name)?

anyone know for sure if pass side 74 straps and hardware work on 81 frame rail without mods ?

thanks

4. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I have an 81 and a saddle tank from a 78 fits like a glove. Hope this helps?

Janne

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you can use POR15 on it, you just have to clean up the leak and paint this stuff on it......just do a search for it and find a place close to you....

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

LMC sells the switch. Ive got dual saddle tanks on my 86 K10 but the passenger had a leak so I took it off. Ive got 2 good tanks and straps and selector valve in the garage. Just need to find the time to put them in.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like pass saddle tank will swap off the 74 and onto the 81

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, the holes between a 77 and a 84 is different for the passenger side tank brackets. I found this out when I took the tank out of my 77C20 and tried putting it in a 84K10. Nothing that a drill couln't fix. Only three of the four holes lined up on the front bracket.

The gas tanks are the same for all years for the same size tanks for either side of the truck. The only difference was some of them had baffles if I remember correctly.

I don't have a hole in the passenger side of the box on my truck for fuel. I just put a fuel pump in that pumps fuel from the driver side tank into the passenger side tank. It takes about 15 minutes to pump the entire tank.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmm this is getting interesting,, guess wont find out for sure once i get tank off the 74 pass side and measure holes patterns..

thanks

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

If it is a small leak use POR15 on it, then you don't have to do any work...

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The gas tanks are interchanagable left to right. The straps are reversed and the rubber filler necks are different, but the tanks are identical.
    I have a polyethylene side saddle tank and really like it. It will never rust. If my other tanks (metal) ever gives me any problems, I'll replace that one with polyethylene too.
    -- Mike

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

a little off topic, but thought provoking: im in the process of puting a blazer tank in my 79 k15. i think it'll be easier to skid plate. those saddles are just bombs. do away with all the switches and valves, and only lose 10 gallons of capacity. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    ryan

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmmm, anyone got an LMC catalog handy to compare years and pass side part numbers of straps and parts ? i need to find one and look, hmm..

thanks

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the blazer tanks arent saddle style. so there isnt a pass/driver side. i think all the mounting is going to be custom. and im not sure about filler hose yet. could use a burb tank, think they're like 40 gal /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ryan

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I forgot about the hole. My Dad brazed the hole I had in mine (about the size of a quarter) shut.

There's a guy on eBay that has been selling brand spanking new ones with lock ring for $80.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no, i know, i guess words got mixed up or something, blazer tanks sit where spare tire is so do burb ones of course. 40 gal tanks were available in blazers too, technically blazers frames are closer to same as pickup frames than are to burb franes, just cuz of bumper horn ends, at least in 72-older anyways. still either tank will work on pickup if have all straps parts.

thanks

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what did you do about vapors in tank ? brazed with tank on truck or removed from it ?

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Removed from truck, wire wheeled, removed sending unit, and then deadened it.

You'd have to be pretty insane to work on a gas tank with fuel or fuel vapors in it.

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah thats what i figured, well being that id have to remove tank anyways i might as well simply replace it with a undamaged one rather than reinstall repaired one...

anyone able to say for sure whether 74 saddle tank mounting brackets will work on 81 frame ? or have an LMC catalog handy to check in for me?

thanks

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ttt, still trying to findout before trying to swap..
    thanks