Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holiday weekend trip to Big Bear, CA

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue71Chevy, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Blue71Chevy

Blue71Chevy Registered Member

first time poster here, i recently bought this truck and this is my first trip useing the 4WD, and here are some pics for your enjoyment

spun out in 2wd and did some custom landscapeing
    [​IMG]

more spinning out in 2WD
    [​IMG]

front shot
    [​IMG]

power sledding!
    [​IMG]

i think they need to update thier sign :P
    [​IMG]

this poor guy in a dodge went camping and woke up in the snow, this local 4x4 club helped him out
    [​IMG]

and drug him all the way out to the paved road
    [​IMG]

2. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

Welcome, and nice truck:thumb:

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

welcome! If you need a hand with anything local, let me know! Santa ana is right next door to me! :)

4. Blue71Chevy

Thanks! as allways a work in progress

right on, allways looking for people to go with and new areas to explore. im a student at SAC in thier automotive program and willing to turn wrenches on anyones ride.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Looks fun, where did you go exactly? Back through holcomb valley? Its really nice back in there, I was there last week and there was barely any snow on the ground! I usually go snowboarding during the day and go for a little put through the trails in the night.

6. Blue71Chevy

on saturday we went up polique canyon road just past the welcome to fawnskin sign and headed to holcomb valley. we did the power sledding on the long stright stretch before the inersection to Pine Flats. when we were all very frozen from sledding we headed to pine flats and up to big pine flats, the trail got a little to complicated for my wife who follwed me up in a 02 2wd blazer so we turned around and headed back for more sledding. on sunday we made a short trip up for more sledding and decided to head out late sunday night to avoid the monday traffic as the main route in was closed and the back way was a mess. all i can say the big caltrans sign thats says tire chains or approved snow tires required beyond this point dosent mean stop 5 miles later and install your chains so you dont slip off the road. took us 4 hours to go from the A&W in the redlands to big bear lake on our way up friday night

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I'd love a snow run! But i'll be 2wd until I can get my exhaust work done. Plus I should install my top before I think about a snow run!

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

damn that is a very loong time to get up the mountain. Is the road going through the city still closed? Last week I heard some tanker spilled a bunch of gas on the road and theyre going crazy with the clean up. You should let me know the next time you head up there, I havent had my blazer up there but I have taken my crew cab many times and its a chill area to hang around in.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like those old style deep dish mag (aluminum) wheels you have. I had a set like those on my old 1968 C20 Chevy Suburban, back in the day.

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome and nice truck.

11. Blue71Chevy

nope it was open, just the main pass that comes in at big bear lake was closed

i probally wont be doing another snow run this season, cost me $200 in gas round tip @8mpg ill hold off till this summer for some rock crawling. need help with that exaust or top let me know i have a pretty open schedule

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks! Exhaust is my main concern so I can 4 wheel at all. Top can wait, i'll just freeze! ha. Anyway do you have any connections at any local exhaust shop? I got quoted 270 for a single exhaust off a y pipe. Thats with my own muffler and not including a broken stud or 2 on one of my manifolds. Check out my webpage, theres some cool videos on there :)

13. Blue71Chevy

i wouldent say a hookup, i know the owner of the Midas on bristol between Warner and Segerstrom his name is albert. but he dident give me a very good deal on a set of 12in drums for my truck, busness is bad i guess. i can drill and tap out studs from manifolds and there is a kicks ass bolt supply neaby that has stainless stud stock and nuts makes outstanding replacements, and worse case new manifolds are pretty cheap these days. http://www.lmctruck.com/ is whare i have got most of my parts from, but i dont think they carry 502 manifolds. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/0093.html complete exhaust kit $200 should be able to cut and weld what needs to be adapted. ill also ask around in my classes at SAC most of them work in shops maybe they know someone. i checked out your videos and that jimmy is a beast. id like to put my truck on a dyno just to see what its made of. the guy i bought it from claimed that the 350 in it is .030 over and built with performance parts. i have a 454 that needs rebuilding at a friends house up in WA state but now im thinking a 502 would be that much better to hell with gas milage! i have a ways to go though before i start thinking about engine swaps. plus this truck is my DD.

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

man, thanks for all the effort! My engine is a cadillac big block, not a 502, the manifolds are about 80$ each used... so i cannot get one right now. I'll look at the exhaust kit, but shipping might make it cost more than the shop quote.. we'll see. And thanks again for your help. You'll fit right in here at ck5!

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

TTT do you know how to tune a q-jet? My dad tried to teach me, but it didnt go very well. Plus my choke seems to have stopped working, I tried adjusting it today but I dont know if it helped

16. Blue71Chevy

run the mixture screws all the way in dont tighen just till they stop run them out about 2 1/2 to 3 turns. q-jets chokes never really worked quite right is it eletric or mechanical? eletric seemed to work better but either way they require alot of fine tuneing. and if i recall on some of them you have to actually bend the choke linkage to make adjustments. id be happy to take a whack at it need about an hour or so best times for me would be tues or thur afternoons-eveneing

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks for the tips. I'll adjust the screws tomorrow. So your saying tighten them till they stop? I'm free most of the time, so tues works for me :) Where would you like me to meet you? What kind of 12-pack should i bring for you? Theres no way to set the choke if its warm though is there? Its electric BTW. Thanks again.
    Branndon

18. Blue71Chevy

just got home from work, bear with me im doing this from memory, there should be 2 mixture screws on the frint of the carb, each screw controls the flow of fuel for that side of the carb that the screw is on, its an adjustable needle valve so you dont want to tourque it down like a normal screw but run it all the way in like your tighting a regular screw till it stops then run it out 2 1/2 to 3 turns thats what most carb rebuilders call the intial adjustment. electric chokes are eaiser to adjust but hard to explain i have to run some erronds here real fast but when i get home ill PM you my cell number, i prefer to do adjusments or repairs whare tools are avalible so your place or mine would be perfect and budwiser is my prefered car repair drink :P the choke can be adjusted when its hot or cold there are ways to trick it into working but if its any comfort i have a brand new eidlebrock 750 on my truck and the choke works like 1/2 the time. sorry for the grammer and spelling in a hurry

19. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Nice truck bro welcome.

20. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I can adjust it the way you told me. I'll do that, but I'll also get in touch with you about the choke :)

thanks!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006