Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holidays suck.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Nov 22, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anyone else not a big fan? My mom/dad are annoyed that I didn't want to go to their big turkey day thing. I don't like any of my family outside the immediate... so I avoid that crap when I can. I'll be going to christmas to give people gifts and crap... but one day per year is the maximum number of times I can tolerate these people.

Anyone else in the same boat? I've pretty much always been this way... family reunions, going to aunts/uncles houses.. holiday trips.. all of it sucks. Not even holidays with presents (bday or xmas) or explosions (4th o' July) can make it "ok". The cliche is that people who are "all alone" are sad/depressed or whatever during the holidays... I just wish I was! :confused: :crazy:

j

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I haven't been home for the holidays in a few years... not by choice.

I have a good relationship with my family, so I can't say I'm exactly in your boat. I wouldn't say I get real depressed around the holidays, just homesick. I've got a good group of friends and co-workers that invite me over for thanksgiving, christmas, and new-years.

I always enjoy sitting down at a table with the family unit, eating my mom's good cooking or my dad's bbq, some other things just can't compare. This time of year I just tend to go into denial and pretend having no family to be with doesn't bother me.

I just try to count my blessings. Since I'm in my ALS class, I don't have to work this weekend. During the holidays, I try to volunteer to work x-mas week to allow my co-workers with a family to have that time off. No need to be selfish because it's not like I was going anywhere.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Jekbrown dude come over my parent's house. We got guns and booze! :haha:

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yer more than welcome to come witness my multidysfunctional family lol... i could care less for the holidays, but the food is tits..

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I hate holiday get togethers, too. My sisters are a PITA, they want to get together for friggin everything, nephews birthdays, this, that, the other thing...

I'd be fine with once or twice a year. This practically twice a month stuff kills my weekends.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Reason # 372 to drink....

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good call fumes... ;) I don't like sitting around a table of food pretending that I like someone or care what they have been doing (since the last holiday). Lets face it, if I really cared what cousin nester was up to, I'd make the effort to keep in touch. :crazy: I dunno, I guess I'm just not very good at pretending/acting. Alky would either make things much better or much worse... depending on how drunk I got and what I blurted out. lol!!! :grin:

Mom/Dad are cool and I visit them all the time. My moms parents are cool too so I don't mind seeing them a few times a year. Everyone else, bah... forget it. They almost make me want to move to Alaska so then I have a no-guilt-trip-possible excuse. :grin:

j

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I go back and forth on it (wanting to be around extended family). I have no idea why, though. Some years I'm the guy who wants to be there come hell or high water. Other times I've said can't we just go see a movie.

I used to hate Christmas too- then I had kids. After 10 years of wanting to just get away, I'm now one of those guys who starts decorating the Friday after thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate to say it, but I'm a friggin hermit. If I want to keep in touch with someone, I'll do it on my own and not have to drive for hours to spend a rare long weekend in a socially awkward situation.

This is the first turkey day in a long while that we haven't hosted or driven to a relatives thanksgiving and I couldn't be happier. Sorry, I guess I'm just anti-social. :o

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I hate sitting around some of the family , annoyed all day long . I do it anyway . Family is family , so I do it .

Who knows when death comes , taken so many I love already . Enjoy those here while you can , even if they annoy you a few times a year .

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I like the get togethers, and seeing people I like.... I like to argue, so even the folks I don't get along with provide some entertainment value... my policy is to not let relationships interfere with my holiday eating or football watching..life's too short.

Tom

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I always liked being around family, but I do have one cousin who I just do not get along with. She a stuck up b!tch.........

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i dont even want to hear it... :rolleyes:

i got done setting up for our thankgiving get together... 140 folding chairs, 23 8' folding tables, tablecloths, etc etc etc...

i've got the aunt who "cant bathe because the perfumes in the soap make her stink"

the uncle who walks around his front yard naked at 2am

the potheads

the 20 year old fat white trash cousin with 2 kids by her illegal immigrant soon to be ex-husband with one on the way from her new illegal immigrant boyfriend (yes, she's textbook trailer park)

the usual annoying older aunts and uncles

the cousin who has to ask his wife if he can use the restroom, and how many slices of cheese he can put on his sandwich

the bible thumpers

the "we're better than you because we have nice cars" crowd

the step grandma who doesnt move her jaw when she talks (making it that much more obvious that she has dentures)

the packrat uncle who bitches every year that the city is "out to get him" because of the 3 broken down travel trailers in his yard, 3 busted cars in the street, and the house/garage/yard crammed full of nothing but junk.

and that's just a few off the top of my head.

you guys got it easy. :rolleyes:

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Don't sweat it beater, we all have a little Jerry Springer in our families. Lord knows I've got my share.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ha!--given a choice ....I'd rather drive off a cliff..

I'd much rather NOT go to any "holiday" get togethers...this year we had "Thanksgiving" here at my mothers house,first time in 5 years--my sisters daughter was hosting the thanksgiving and christmas get togethers the past 5 years,and I stayed home alone every year,and had my own "party"..felt damm good to be rid of my mother for a few hours,and be able to do what I wanted for once,and not have to drive 70 miles each way..I'm not much of a social butterfly...

Our "family" is about as disfunctional as they come...I only get along good with my sister,she's the only one who will give me any help around here..my older brother gets along with me--but is grouchy and still treats me like a "little brother"..
    I always seem to say the wrong thing and piss him off unintentionally,yesterday was no exception,and my otherwise fine meal was soured by indegestion...my younger brother is gay,that adds tenfold to the tension,none of us approve of his lifestyle,except my mother,who doesn't seem to realize...he milks my mother bad,she gives him anything he wants,and he does not do much to deserve it...I cant stand him or his "friends"...glad he came alone this time..

Now I discover my sister was supposed to help sell stuff at a craft show this weekend,and my younger brother was supposed to help too--him and my mother drop the bomb after my sisters husband leaves to go home, that "he cant help you set up the tables because he's got a hairdressers appointment"--:eek1:

--my sister is LIVID--this makes 3 times he's backed out on her,either at the last minute for being "sick",or some other lame excuse!--said she would have gone home,had they not waited until she was "stuck" here to tell her...she said she nearly walked out,and was going to have me take her home!..(and I have to bring her home sunday 70 miles away if she does stay,I hate being a F'n taxi)...my mother is a total bitch,she probably concocted this whole thing well in advance..

I dont know why ANY of us help her,especially ME..she deserves NONE...I cant believe how full of anger and bitterness she is towards us--just like her mother was when she had Althimers..my sister and I agree she's getting out of control--yesterday she beat my cat BAD for sneaking up on the table,where she FEEDS the F'n thing!--how does the cat know its "wrong",if its been FED there often??..and she couldn't remember my name yesterday either..I think she belongs in an institution,and soon,before WE end up in one!..

She buys a complete set of china with turkeys on it just for ONE meal,then buys a complete dinner at a supermarket for 60 bucks--then whines "nobody's eating anything"--yeah,the ULCERS we have from just sitting near each other,and listening to her BITCH all day, spoiled our appetites!!..then comes the "I dont know how I'll pay this bill,etc--I have no money!--gee Ma,its funny you can buy 300 lottery tickets at a whack ,those dishes you'll never use again,and countless other things she didn't really need..but your "poor"...spare me!..:mad:

Sigh...should be an interesting and frustrating weekend...I think I'm gonna dissapear when christmas comes..F*** being "home for the holidays"..I feel bad for those in Iraq who'd give their left nut to to home--wish they could be here instead of ME....I feel kinda guilty..and dont tell me "be thankful your mother is still alive"..she's lived too long already,I hate to say it,but I dont think I'll miss her much after she's gone,after the way she's treated me and my sister since my dad passed away..I have very few "fond" memories of her..

So yeah,I'll join your "I hate the holidays" club..--they make me sad and suicidal...I'd rather sit alone and drink!:crazy:

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Quit being nice to them. I think that several of my extended family members have gotten the message because they steer clear of me. Works great, I get to visit with those that I want too and the rest can sense the disdain. I won't let the aggrivting group keep me from enjoying the visit.

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats my policy Tom..:haha: man, reading some of the responses has made me realize working on junk yesterday was peacefull.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: