Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley 500 2bbl

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Does anyone here run a Holley 500 2bbl? How do you like it? How is the performance? How is the off-road ability of the carb on inclines, etc...?

I hear that these carbs are awesome on trucks and I recently got one for free... trying to figure out if it is worth my time to try and swap it on my truck so see how she works!!

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Anyone? Going once? Going twice...?

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I knew quite a few guys in Northern CA who ran them on their 390 Fords. They were all very happy with everything but the gas mileage. One trick I learned from them; The vent tube on a Holley is where the gas dumps out on a steep incline, so these guys would put about 2 ft of gas line over the vent tube and curl it up inside the air cleaner-kept em from flooding out.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

... that is what this came off of was a Ford 390. I was thinking if it doesn't work out on the Jimmy then I might try putting it on the 390 in my tow rig...

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used to have a 4WD Dodge van that had a big 2-barrel carb sitting on the 360. On long inclines it required that I stand in the throttle enough that manifold vaccum would go away long enough that the a/c controls would lose vacuum. The a/c would start blowing out the heater vents. :( It also got 6, yes SIX mpg.

When I swapped on an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley 600 CFM 4-barrel, mileage jumped to 11.5 MPG and the a/c worked right once again. :cool1: