Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley 650 a good 4x4 carb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I can get ahold of a holley 650 for pretty cheap, and I'm wondering if it'd be ok for a k5?

2. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Yeah, its a good carb, esp the vac. secondary models. I personally like Q-jets, but I have been known to use a Holley now & then (like when I hot-rodded my '87 Dodge 3/4T van)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

On street just fine. Leave the paved road and they SUCK. If you wheel it put a quadrajet on it.

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Holley's can be made to work, but unless you buy the new Off Road Holley carb it will take some changes. I've used Holleys for years on 4x4's and have wheeled them in some pretty tough places. Stock, they have a fair share of problems, modify them and they work pretty good. If you must use one, get the new truck Avenger model offroad carb. It's already setup for some serious offroad use.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I ran nothing but Holleys for the last 15 yrs or so. I have had great results w/ them. My dad ordered me an Edelbrock right before I left for Rebel Run when we couldnt get my carb tuned right for some reason. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I still havent figured that one out but I think it had something to do w/ my fuel pump, and Im still fighting that one, but thats a different story altogether. Im about to put on an electric pump I have.

Somewhere I have a pic of my Blazer w/ the rear hitch roughly a foot off the ground. Not a real feat, but PI was on 9 inches and 38s at the time. It just sat there chugging away till I backed off the pile or crushed asphault I was on.

All they really take is extended float bolw vents so it doesnt puke raw fuel into the venturis from the bowls on high angles. To get crazy maybe extended jets would help from starving the secondaries on steep uphills.

IMO there is no carb out there w/ a greater aftermarket for tuneablity. One day Ill get my Holley back on. Its running fine now so Im not gonna mess w/ it even tho I can notice a slight loss of power on the top end.

6. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

would a marine carb be good for offroad?

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a 750 holley on mine, it works great. I put the off road kit in it. If you get at an angle the fuel runs out of the bowl vent and floods it out if you don't put the kit on it. You need to watch out for backfires real close because you can blow the power valve out.

John

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO, Holleys are much more trouble than they are worth. I've run various kinds and never had much luck. Always leaking, blowing valves, or one of a myriad of other problems. AFBs and clones are great on the street but can't handle off-road. Only carb for off-road (IMO) is the Q-Jet. There is a reason they are called the "poor man's fuel injection"...

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have a holley on my 350(no clue what model...how do you tell) and im not wild about it..my enigne tends to stutter sometimes more than i think it should of course that could be a number of other things but ive thought about swaping it back for a Q-jet..

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would a marine carb be good for offroad?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not really. Unless you modify the bowl vents. Marine carbs are designed to vent all excess fuel out of the float bowl vents directly into the venturies.
    This is so no fuel can get spilled on the outside the carb, ignite and start a fire. Boat fires miles offshore are a real bummer.
    I'm not too impressed with Holley marine carbs. they work Ok on lakes and smooth water but Like offroad they tend to want to flood in rough high seas. Definatly not a time to have your engine flooding out.
    Rochesters are the only carb I like for marine use.

11. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

what is the recommended way of extending the bowl vents