Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Carb Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Feb 5, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I have a Holley model 4011 4B carb with electric choke that is having cold weather problem. It will start ok and idle for a while, then start idling ruff. Even after it warms up to full temp, it wants to die. If you shut it down for a few minutes and then start it up again, it will idle ok for a while then start doing the same thing again. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When it starts idleing rough have you tried taping the gas and see what happens. I have a street avenger on my chevelle and that is what i do. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84mudmachine

yes, I tried that but it seems not to do anything. Do you think something might be sticking?

4. RingMaster4x4

Maybe /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif when was the last time you did a tune-up? EX. spark plugs and the timeing on the motor?

5. 84mudmachine

I had it in the shop the other week for a new head and I figure they had to check the timing when they reinstalled the distributor. Plugs are new, and the carb was adjusted at the same time the head was replaced. Last week was fine, then this week it started acting up. I have had it back from the shop for about 2 weeks.

6. RingMaster4x4

The only thing that I can think to do is take the air cleaner off one morning before you start it up. Then start is and let it idle and check and see if the choke opens after is warms up. If the choke opens then there is some thing else. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 84mudmachine

Well, I worked on it last night. I think what I did was adjust the idle too high. It was running funny the other day, so I uped the idle. I think I hit the gas to soon before it was warm enough and kicked down the rmp too soon. I read something about having the idle set to high and cause it kick out of idle mode. Anyway, I adjusted it and it seemed to idle fine when warm, the choke was fully open also. Thanks for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif