Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Carb troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigred shrtbd, Apr 16, 2004.

1. bigred shrtbd

bigred shrtbd Registered Member

Just today I put a holley 600cfm carb on my truck and got it all goin good and went to take her for a spin and when I put it to the floor it makes a loud POP then goes for a lil bit then POP again... goes.. POP.etc. what do u think is the problem it only does this when u put it all the way to the floor?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll take a guess and say the fuel level is too low in the secondary float bowl.

When you say its popping,
    It's popping out the carburator right? And not out the exhaust?
    Is it vaccum secondaries or a double pumper?

Did you set the float bowl level first when you put it on your truck!? - With it running, Remove the sight plug on the side of the float bowls then use a screwdriver and 5/8" wrench to adjust the fuel level till it barely runs out of the sight plug hole. Might want to get a rag or cup to catch the gas if the level is set too high.

Make sure the vaccum diaphram for the secondaires is working and not blown. You can move the linkage to WOT then with your other hand push up on the vaccum secondaires rod on the left side of the carb. You'll hear it go PSSSHHHH.

If you did that, Take it off, take the float bowls off, blow everything out with carb cleaner and compressed air.
    Then when you have it apart you can check the jet sizes. You said it popping when you get on it hard so check the secondary jets and you can compare them to whatever is stock @: www.mortec.com
    Also check the power valve on the primaries and make sure the diaphram isnt blown.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

this is kinda of topic, but dont you have any trouble with the linkage on that carb, when i run holleys on my truck i always have a problem with the location of wear i have to hook up the gas pedal, its never in the right spot and makes the pedal stiff as hell /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif