Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holley economaster

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, Nov 24, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

A guy at my work has a Holley Economaster 4brl carb on his truck that he wants to get rid of and I was just wondering if it was any good for wheelin. It is a direct replacement for a qjet but I was just wondering if it was as good as a qjet. Thanks for the help.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

no off road experience,but ..

I had a couple of those carbs,I think they were 450 CFM--had one on a 454 in a 74 C10,and a 350 in my 71 K10..I never "wheeled" my trucks,but I did plow with the K-10,and I didn't have any flooding or sputtering issues with the carb while plowing or climbing snowbanks..I can't say for sure they work great off camber or if the truck bounces while off roading,but I liked them,they gave good gas mileage and performed good..felt stronger than the Q-jets I replaced did.. :crazy:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

smaller carb will give better throttle response, at the cost of power in the mid to high rpm ranges.

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I had one on my 75 silverodo. It sputterd with wheel hop and would also load up on hill climbs unles you kept it at or near full throttel. Ive had much better performance out of Q-jets, the one on my 85 is awsome! It holds an idle at almost any angle and has good throttel respose at any rpm. So Q-jet in my book unless Holly truck avenger :bow:

78 k5 350/465/205/60/14bsfwelded/37'' boggers beat to sh**
    85 sub 350/700/208/10blts welded/chopped/stripped/shortend to 100'' wheelbase/35'' swapers and gitten beat fast :D
    Founding member Poorboys Offroad

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Personally, I'de pass!! I love holley cabs, but IMHO they suck off road. The economasters were also set up on the lean side, so there NOT a performance based carb. Although you can modify them to work better. If there is nothing wrong with your Q-jet, i wouldn't bother.