Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holley MPFI on a daily driver?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Feb 11, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

would this be sensable? i can get a holley MPFI system from my boss really cheap, and im gettinmg a GMPP 350 HO for graduation in another 6-8 months, would this be good for a daily driven application or would i be better off wiht my stock TBI stuff?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh yes that is better than TBI as for efficency.
    I was reading about fuel/air deliver the other day and it went like this
    Less efficent to most efficent(fuel millage and burning all the gas in the cylinder)
    Carb
    Throttle Body EFI
    Multi Point EFI
    There was one more....hmmmm...I can't remember the 'name' but basically the MPFI fires the injectors in groups the most efficent EFI will fire only that injector that the spark is going to. THis type of MPFI is High dollor$$$$ lots of muuullaaaa.
    Hope this helps.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I will be getting the Edelbrock Pro-Flo MPFI for my 454 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yes that is better than TBI as for efficency.
    I was reading about fuel/air deliver the other day and it went like this
    Less efficent to most efficent(fuel millage and burning all the gas in the cylinder)
    Carb
    Throttle Body EFI
    Multi Point EFI
    There was one more....hmmmm...I can't remember the 'name' but basically the MPFI fires the injectors in groups

[/ QUOTE ]
    ## Batch fire

[ QUOTE ]

the most efficent EFI will fire only that injector that the spark is going to

[/ QUOTE ]
    ## Sequintial(sp?) fire

[ QUOTE ]

. THis type of MPFI is High dollor$$$$ lots of muuullaaaa.
    Hope this helps.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I will be getting the Edelbrock Pro-Flo MPFI for my 454 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ya ya that's the name = Sequintial(sp?) fire

Thanks Bro! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mutliport is the only way to go if you can. My TPI is a batch fire but it is sweet. Sequential would be awesome but that is usually OBDII stuff. More headache.

MPFI all the way over TBI or Carb.

Harley

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The change from batch to sequential netted GM about 5HP. Not nearly the gain you'd expect eh?

Dunno about the Holley multiport systems. Seems just about everything else they make is/was pretty hard to keep running right, to include at least their first attempts at injection.

The Edelbrock system is supposed to be bulletproof though.

7. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I am putting TPI on my 89 blazer using Accel DFI electronics, should be a great runner when I get it going good

8. muddysub

ok i found out that its actually an mpfi set up off af a 'vette, i think he said 1989. it should still work right? the only thing missing is the computer, i need to buy one of those. and will that bolt onto vortec heads??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. Hossbaby50

MPFI should be TPI. You will need to look into bypassing the Vehicle Anti Theft System in its computer. You will also have a few other things to deal with that TPI off a camaro or firebird would not. 89 should be MAF TPI but with the vette might be MAP. not sure.

Harley

10. Hossbaby50

oh ya, no vortech bolt up. you need a special vortech TPI manifold. It isn't cheap either. TPI is awesome though. I just finished the TPI swap about a month ago and if you want to look at it or have questions let me know.

Harley

11. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    you need a special vortech TPI manifold.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's $400 last I checked, and available ONLY from SDPC2000.com

Assuming you have Vortec heads already, EGR is probably not an issue for you, but if you need EGR, that's another $70.

12. muddysub

well i dont have vortech heads already, im getting a GMPP 350HO for graduation in august and it has vortechs on it. but if it wont work with this TPI system then i can get a diff motor with diff heads on it. what kinda crate motor can i get to work with this thing?? i need to drive the truck every day. and i have about a $2100 limit for the engine.

13. dyeager535

I would seriously consider (on the low end) the Pro-Toplines (about $550/pair) and on the upper end, the AFR's, World's, etc., which are about $1000.

Depending on what you want to do with the engine, the Vortecs only accept up to about .450" lift, they won't support a moderate roller cam (need replacement springs), have press in studs, and require the special intake, which is ESPECIALLY important with TPI, since the intake alone costs $400. Don't forget Vortec castings are thin also, so if you want to mill them, or run them in extreme conditions sometimes, that COULD come back to haunt you.

If you go with stock bolt pattern heads, you can re-use the stock TPI base, which means right there you've "saved" $400. A 1985 TPI base will make life even easier in regards to heads, since it uses the "old style" bolt pattern, but I think most companies make heads now that work with the newer vertical center bolt intakes.

Some iron L98 castings would be some good heads. Not on par with the AFR's, worlds and what not, but readily available with the vertical intake center bolt's. I'm sure those are also press in studs. AFAIK they use the "common" SBC valve springs, and probably are equipped to handle more lift stock than the Vortecs.

As you can see, the Vortecs won't let you stay within that $2100 budget unless you can get the motor CHEAP. That's $900 *just* to run those particular heads.

I'm sure you can get a crate 350 for $1200 or less, but it probably won't be fancy, and most likely won't be from GM either. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe do some more research, see what an L98 engine runs, if you can even find a replacement. Decent heads, stock roller cam, one piece rear main, all good things.

I've seen roller cam, one piece rear main 4 bolt engines for about $1500 with a long warranty, but that includes heads, and who knows which ones. Maybe for the same price a rebuilder would let you pick your own heads.