Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley or Edelbrock off-road carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, May 30, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used the "new" edelbrock or Holley off road carbs? Are they tat much better than a regular carb? I once tried to go wheeling with a regular Edelbrock an it would die or spudder at angles. Wasnt fun. I have a Barry Grant Speed Demon carb but its a street/strip carb and dont think it would help. I liked Q-Jets before but they dont bolt up to the Performer RPM air gap anifolds and I dont want to use an adapter.

thanks

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

The only difference in the edelbrock offroad carbs is that they have the offroad needle and seats in them already as far as I can tell. The with the holey carbs the only thing that I know is different is they raised the venturi so that the bowles don't empty at large angles.

3. trailblazr81

well I know the Holley has "not-so-obvious features are a built-in fuel inlet filter and Viton transfer tube seals, clear site plugs for easier float adjustments, spring loaded needles and seats, an adjustable vacuum secondary, High Vacuum Signal (H.V.S.) annular boosters, electric choke, and metering blocks designed to "eliminate fuel spill-over through the boosters at extreme angles."

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

So you have a brochure I take it.

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

my buddy is using the Holley truck avenger, and it ROCKS!!!! It works better than my Q-jet! Never stalls, never sputers, idles GREAT, and he has a lot better TQ than he did with the 650 Holley he had before. (87 Sub. with a 383 and the TH700R4)

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 670 truck avenger, and unless your motor is stock, it takes alot of tuning, so be prepared.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah my truck avenger gets tedious too.... gotta re-adjust the choke on it.... finiky.. but I like it thus far... :grin:

8. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Running the Holley Truck Avenger carb after trouble with the Q-jet on the really steep stuff and the Holley holds up to the ads.

Does need tuning and choke adjustment and a little less fuel milage than the Q-jet but is well worth it, just got back for Hollister and was able to do all the things that left the Q-jet stumbling and flooding out.

9. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Trailblazr81, just noticed that you're from Hollister so you'll know where I went.
    My truck avenger got me up Truck Hill without a problem, did squeeze rock in my fullsize (what a site, got some body damage), ran the Gulch up and down and did the lower V's at the jungle. (little more body damage) Holley never complained. Loads up a little on really steep downhill and affects the power booster a little, more tuning :D

10. trailblazr81

Sounds Good!!! I guess I will go with the 770 Holley Truck Avenger. :cool1:

11. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Not meaning to hijack, but what can i do to make my 750 cfm edelbrock performer be more of an off road friendly carb? I've allready re jetted it, and was wondering of some other tricks that could make my blazer run his with out stalling? Thanks for the help.

12. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Don't know what you got for a motor but a 770 will be overkill on most small blocks. Check with holley before you order or you can cause a loss of power, drivability and fuel economy. Bigger is not always better. My freind has a stock 454 and the 770 was too BIG for him.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

agreed.... I called holley and they said a 770 is more for a WORKED 383 or WORKED BB not a stock sb or bb.... :crazy:

14. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

i have a barry grant 625 cfm road demon and it seems to work pretty well on and off road i just need to tune it in more.

15. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

I would really like to hear from someone who has used the Edelbrock AVS 1826 off-road carb.

Anyone?