Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holley or rochester?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cheyennesuper, Nov 12, 2004.

1. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

which four barrel is better on a 350?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

for flat ground the Holley cannot be beat

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Q-jet handles hills , off camber , does well in sand , mud , rocks , hell anywhere . They also have small primaries for economy if you can keep a foot out of it , and large secondaries that can be tuned by a spring adjustment to open as the motor needs it for bad boggity boogity boogity power /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I tend to lean towards the Q-jet but it really depends on the use. Since your posting here I assume that you are going to be doing some off roading. In stock form a quadrajet is far superior to a stock holley for off road. The holley is easily modified though, and also more easily tuned. A quadrajet is more forgiving of tuning though, and also more able to get an exact tune for all throttle conditions. Also depends on your intake manifold. Depending on your manifold it may dictate your choice unless you want to run an adapter. I personally just think run what you got, two barrels can even be extremely effective off road carbs. Don't go out and buy a new carburetor just because someone tells you its better. But whatever you choose go out and get a book on it so you can understand it better. The best book on quadrajet's is Doug Roe's, and there are a plethora of books about holley carbs. I wouldn't rule out an edelbrock either (though I really don't like them for off road use).

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

edelbrock sells both Carters and Quadrajets, there is no Edelbrock carb that I am aware of for our application

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you doing any wheeling, go with the Qjet. There's a place in California called SMI Carburetor that can custom build you a carburetor. It's based on just about anything you can think of: gearing, tire size, use, altitude, cam profile, etc... They quoted me $320.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Soon my truck will be on the road.. then I can tell you how I like my holley truck avenger.... I like it thus far.. much more than the holley 600 piece of crud I just took off!!!