Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley pro jection, ever use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Flipper, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Seen lots of posts of pro jection. Seems like no one endorses it. Would like to try type with o2 sensor.
    Problem is we see -15 degrees here and then summers at 90 degrees. Do you always have to fiddle with
    the computer adjustments of wide open throttle, choke, rich- lean or does it always start right up when dialed in?
    I don't want another carb. if it's just as bad.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

No experience with the Pro-jection, but a friend of mine recently installed a factory TBI system onto the 350 in his Jeep. He says he has less than $300 in it (including the aftermarket wiring harness to make hooking it up much easier) and was relatively easy to do. It's a pretty mildly built motor but runs great with the fuel injection.

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I'd pass on the projunk, It will be a thing thst you always have to play with to make work. Use something like the other post says.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've always heard good things from the people that have this setup but all of them had the 4di system (4 injectors). The 4di does require a PC so you can set the parameters yourself through your computer. The non-4di systems didn't have a computer interface and had adjustment screws on the brain with no o2 sensor which I would avoid. When Holley first came out with this (2 injector, non computer version), there was some bugs with these systems but I think they have it worked out. A few companies like Affordable FI and Howell have some setups you can buy but I think it's the same price as Holleys 4di system. One advantage the Holley system has is you can program the fuel map and other settings yourself without having a chip burner or another company doing it. I'm currently converting mine over to the 1000cfm MPFI system. I like the easy to use 4di Windows interface. I've also used Accel's Calmap system which is cumbersom and hard to use/setup. If you really want good advice, talk to Squash. He knows his FI.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If it is a small block, you have GREAT factory options to choose from, the aforementioned TBI or (my favorite) TPI.......click on my link to my website below to see the motor almost [​IMG] complete. Great thing about TPI is the components are relatively cheap, you can get lots of HP/Torque out of them and the reliability is fantastic. GM parts all the way, baby........

Now for Shawn, with his RAT there is no factory options...........or is there...........Shawn, look at my webpage, go to TPI 406 page and look behind my motor on the engine stand..........that there is a 502 factory motor with injection that my builder is "playing with" to see what he can get out of it! Holy criminy, can you imagine a 502 that is tweaked????????

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at--->http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. Shawn

I agree with BlazzinOR. The TPI and MPFI setups would provide more torque and HP (compared with TBI). There's nothing like having an injector for each cylinder. Around here, everyone wants an arm and a leg for a TPI system. If you can find a good deal on one, then get it. Make sure to get the harness and brain. You'll need to have someone burn a chip for it unless it's the same TPI engine. Not sure what that engine is in the back. That manifold is huge and I'm also willing to bet it's a 502 FI setup.

Shawn
    87 K5

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I had the 650 system with the O2 senser had so many problems that holley sent me a 900 di system with the intake. I still was way to hard to keep the settings right. At one time holley had a place much like this one for there users to come and talk and get thoughts from each other the problems with the injection systems got so bad the turned the board off on there website.

BlazzinOR I just replaced the 350 in my new (to me) 93 suburban, the motor is a stock 400 lower end with the 93 heads and stuff on it. It run fine every place but at WOT!
    What injector are you running on your 406 and is TBI or TPI? I'm think that the 350 tbi run 19# and the 454 runs 24#! IF that close then setting the fuel PSI up a few or run the 454 injectors and trun it down a bit should get it right.

Ken

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shawn - it IS a 502 with FI and he is working on it to extract some more power [​IMG] out of it........hard to believe, but he thinks the electronics/program hold it back.

Ken - the motor is TPI - see the pretty polished runners [​IMG][​IMG]? - it has 24 lb matched flow rate injectors, we added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to it also.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. Shawn

Cool! Speaking of adjustable fuel pressure regulator, where can I get one cheap? Everyone seems to want over $200 and it's such a simple device.

Shawn
    87 K5

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shawn, I will check with my builder on his source for the adjustable regulator when he gets back from out of town ([​IMG]unfortunately we didn't get all the "details" done on my truck before he had to go, so it is not on the road yet).

Let ya know........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at--->http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

11. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Shawn, call TPIS (www.tpis.com). I think that a regulator that fits a turbo buick (GN) will fit. But for sure TPIS has a low-cost one that works well on your setup, that's where I got mine. Should be under $50. The billet ones are nice, but too rich for me.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

12. realsquash

13. realsquash

14. Shawn

Thanks for the info Squash.

Shawn
    87 K5
    [​IMG]

15. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry but in fact Holley has come close to a class action suit with there early systems which is the reson they pulled the board and replace my system. True the DI systems are nice and can be made to work, And if you have never used any other programs the one with the DI is nice. The problem comes in with the Holley system not learning like the OEM ones do and with the O2 senser not have enouf range to keep the fuel flow right. Holley may changed this by now.

Ken

16. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Anyone heard anything about edelbrock tpi conversions for tbi engine? Thinking of getting the tbi to vortec tpi conversion.

17. Shawn

I agree with you Ken that the early Holley systems were junk. I think these came out 7 or 8 years ago. Because of that, it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a used system. So far, I've talked to 8 people who have been happy with the newer di systems. Any FI system is a huge improvement over a carb. Running severe angles (ie Moab) it's almost a must. Ken, I was curious how you program yours? Burned Chip? DFI? I think I remember you had a laptop.

Shawn
    87 K5
    [​IMG]

18. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The 2nd Holley system that was given to me by Holley was a DI which you changed via a laptop.

And yes the system I run now is changed using a laptop or such. I like the systems that can be changed use a PC versus the one with burned Eproms becuse that lets me change it if I change the motor like a new cam or such.

Ken