Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Pro-Jectioned!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTPockets, Mar 21, 2002.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

needed to be done, the motor had some leaky valve stem seals and a few broken rings, so we rebuilt it with some solid replacement parts from summit. putting the fuel injection on the new motor seemed like the right thing to do at the time, and it was. i have finally joined the ranks of the fuel efficient. no more cold start difficulties, gas guzzling carb, or steep angle problems.

thought i'd share the beauty of the chevy orange before its covered in the florida muck.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/24379884/33764777qtBqgM>http://community.webshots.com/photo/24379884/33764777qtBqgM</a>

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I liked my projection when it was new. Sure did start nice and was great in the rocks, After 6 months I sold it as fast as I could. The computor went out twice it ran way too rich. I bought a Jet Quadra Jet and have been happy ever since. Holley support sucks

3. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear that. i have had a good experience with the holley support team, so far. it was so simple to install and is easy to work on, i cant imagine going back to a carb. i did opt for the closed loop kit, which has helped solve any problems with rich/lean difficulties.

with a one year manufacturer warranty, i am curious why you didnt just return the product for a full refund?

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I love my Howell (based on a Holley injectors) using OEM sensors and computer.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ooooh! Purdy!

now, question time /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Looks like you are running a snokle...does it route into the Cab?

What brand headers did you use? i know there have been some reported problems with full length headers and extended fron shackles. have you run into this?

Its looking good. gotta love the hugger orange/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

His snorkel runs down the pas side fender, and up the windshield frame.

7. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

MTPockets, I still cant believe the way you hacked that killer K5 apart, I would have gladly traded you for my rusty one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif j/k Gotta give you props on the nice work though man.

8. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Cool, just got my Holly projection put on last week,, so far I love it!, but uhhhmmm wonder if I should carry a spare computer??? hmmmm

9. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

no need for a spare computer, just make sure your grounds are to the chassis/battery directly and that they are SECURE. i also put an inline 20 amp fuse on the hot lead coming in from the fuel pump, just a precautionary measure.

the headers are hooker shorty's and the snorkel is an arb. i know it used to be a purdy k5, but now its ready to rock n roll. ORD Gen II next...

10. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    My Holley 670 ProJection unit seemed like a good idea too, at first. Then about 6 months later I sold it to the first guy that would offer me anything over 50 bucks. I was constantly having to tweak it, make that on a daily basis, but not at first. It ran good at first, got better gas mileage, and never had starvation problems. Then from one month to the next, it took a dump. Had to replace the controller brain once, and that was enough trouble (under warranty, just sucked to be down for parts) for me to consider replacing it.

Now I run a Holley 750, with an off-road kit, and a higher volume fuel pump, and I burn more gas, but that aging K5 can really kick up some pavement and dirt.

Good luck with your Holley FI unit.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm going factory FI. I think I may have just found a set up also.

12. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

how much does the holly projection cost and what does the kit come with and how hard is it to install

13. WOLF359

WOLF359 Registered Member

I ran the 900 Di for two years. Blew one ECM (replaced under warranty). The system runs ok once it goes closed loop, but until then, mine always ran like a toilet. I was constantly screwing with it to get it to run right, and it never did.

I just turfed the Holley ECM and replaced with a Howell GM setup.

First time it fired up, it ran better than the Holley ever did.

Good luck with yours, I hope it works for you better than it did for me.

Tim.