Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holley spacer / adapter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, May 24, 2006.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So tonight I took my carb off to install the .035 discharge nozzles... and VIOLA my hessitation on the truck avenger is gone.. that coupled with the black accelerator pump... anyways...

when I did my cam, heads and intake... I still used the spacer to adapt the holley to a GM intake on my weiand power+ vortec intake.... so I took it off.. and of course Murphy was on my shoulder...... one of the stud bolts fell into my intake.. at least it was reachable... :doah:

so anyway... I dont need the adapter as my intake has both sets of holes.... so I just simply used a holley stud kit.....

theoretically what does the spacer give you? more torque or higher rpm hp??? I know you wont get alot of either but just curious... .I figured id just put a few fast stickers on my truck so that would be good for 45hp to even me out... :haha:

(I am kidding about the stickers for you non understanders:crazy: )

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are adapters and spacers. An adapter is usually use to allow the use of a square bore carburetor on a stock spread bore intake manifold. Spacers are to (supposedly) increase the flow efinciency of a carburetor, but that is debatable.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

open spacer = more top end power

split spacer = more bottom end power

thay basicly make the motor think it has a bigger volume of intake storage area.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats basically it.

I run a 2in 4 hole spacer from Transdapt and I like it a lot. I got their swirl torque spacer, I don't know about the swirl part, but it seems to be working:dunno:.
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=12905&searchItemId=12147
    [​IMG]

The adapter I used was this one that is about 1/16 thick
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WND%2D9006&N=0&autoview=sku
    [​IMG]
    This is the adapter that Weiand recomends for getting a square bore carb to properly seal on a spead bore manifold. I have had no leaks at all since I installed them.

I have a question too, if you run 2 or 3 open 2in carb spacers on a manifold, would that kinda make it a duel plane tunnel ram intake?

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

NICE yeah holley shipped the one on the bottome... zinc plated lookin thin piece.. i didnt use it..... if it is leaking what would I notice? lack of power? or would it be something not really even seen?
    I heard of doing a spray can.. wd40??? spray around and see if it sucks it in...

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your carb isn't seeled properly to the manifold, then it would cause a massive vacuum leak and I don't think your truck would run well at all.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

vacuum "leaks"...

I see quite a few trucks and muscle cars with aftermarket manifolds that have a "universal" mounting flange for both spread bore and square bore carbs,and not using that flat plate is often the reason many of those vehicles had poor idle,stumbling on acceleration,and dieseling,due to vacuum leakage....they failed to see that even though the carb "bolts right on",that does NOT mean the base of whatever carb used will seal 100% all the way around..Holley and Edelbrock manifolds especially..

I've had more than one guy bring me his truck to "rebuild the carb" and a "tune up" on a saturday afternoon,and all I'd end up doing was pulling the carb off,and I'd discover that the base gasket was not even touching a few spots on the intake!..I made a few of those "plates" before I found speed shops had them for sale!.

More than one truck left here with only the new gaskets and spacer plate,running perfectly,and the owners retuned all the tune up parts and carb kit--and bought me a six pack or two instead!..:D :D

I find at least one vaccum "leak" on just about every vehicle I open the hood on lately..or someone hooked the hoses up wrong!..:doah:

And why do we call them "vacuum LEAKS",when in fact nothing IS leaking??....maybe we should call them a vaccum "SUCK" ..:thinking: ....:crazy: