Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley TBI 670

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeffHK5, Dec 31, 2005.

1. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Got a mild 454 with the non-digital Holley 2 kit that I just installed with good results. It starts, idles and runs up to 4,500 RPM great but all most will not start when hot!

When it does start, it blows black smoke like it's way rich for 1-2 minutes.

Is it the temp. sensor making the computer think the engine is cold or could it be deeper than that?

It does not matter if its been running for 10 min. or 2 hours!

I have looked through past posts and have had no luck answering this question.

Thanks, Jeff

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the Holley part number for the TBI you have. Does it happen to be 502-20S?

3. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I actually have a 510-502-20S(Jegs) on my rig , which is the digital version of the one that's on my buddies truck. The non-digital one that I just put on my friends rig is the one that's giving me fits! Both our systems run the add-on closed loop oxygen sensor and for the most part work great on low RPM big blocks.

Other than my ECM saying "DIGITAL 2D" on it our EFIs look identical.

I just looked at what I typed , man I hope you can fallow what I was saying........:doah: ...........

Thanks, Jeff

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like your trucks ECM thinks the engine is cold all the time. Make sure the ECM temp input unit is working, and that you wired up the Holley closed-loop kit properly.